Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20210511_061130.jpg
I must suffer from some sort of mental deficit. You would think a fella would have enough sense to rest after turkey season, especially after being out most mornings before work. But....when the first dark moon of May hits as soon as turkey season is over and the lake has fresh water in it, I had to get lines in the water....which means catching bait after school and running lines before school and somehow managing time to clean the fish I catch. Last two mornings have netted 8 flatheads, 3 big channels, and 3 really nice bass. Most flatheads around 8 to 10 pounds. I did throw one about 2 pounds back that was barely hooked and not hurt.

·
Registered
359 Posts
View attachment 220111 I must suffer from some sort of mental deficit. You would think a fella would have enough sense to rest after turkey season, especially after being out most mornings before work. But....when the first dark moon of May hits as soon as turkey season is over and the lake has fresh water in it, I had to get lines in the water....which means catching bait after school and running lines before school and somehow managing time to clean the fish I catch. Last two mornings have netted 8 flatheads, 3 big channels, and 3 really nice bass. Most flatheads around 8 to 10 pounds. I did throw one about 2 pounds back that was barely hooked and not hurt.
I got a filet knife that would be pleased with a haul like that.

Nice catch!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Most of the Flatheads I catch on Tablerock are in the 8 to 12 pound range. The biggest i ever caught was 32. I just dont catch big ones like they do on Truman and LOZ, but Tablerock makes up for it with numbers.
Nice! It's weird you don't really hear about big catfish coming from Tablerock
Hooks 32lber is about the biggest I’ve ever heard. It’s full of 14lbers. I would like to know why there isn’t any big ones.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hooks 32lber is about the biggest I’ve ever heard. It’s full of 14lbers. I would like to know why there isn’t any big ones.
I have wondered that a bunch as well. That morning i caught the 32 lb fish, I had two others that were low to mid 20's. By far the best morning i have ever had in about 8 years of fishing pretty hard.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I have snagged a few while paddlefish snagging in the James arm. Seem to be fairly abundant on Tablerock.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Anyone do any water temperature studies? Do the lakes with bigger fish have longer periods of warmer water than the ones with smaller fish ?
I'm clueless about this, but fish feed less when it is cold right?
How about food chain differences in those lakes?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone do any water temperature studies? Do the lakes with bigger fish have longer periods of warmer water than the ones with smaller fish ?
I'm clueless about this, but fish feed less when it is cold right?
How about food chain differences in those lakes?
I asked Parker about this one time and he suggested there may even be a flathead that doesnt get as big. Dont know if you would call it a sub species or not, but there is a definite difference on Tablerock.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
20210609_220109.jpg
Two nights of running lines only produced two keeper flatheads, but they were good ones. Caught this big one during the day when i went to bait up for the night. Biggest I have caught on Tablerock. 33 pounds .
Had one that was 15 this morning.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
I would call that real good this late. (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts