T/C Encore Issue???

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by MJO21, Oct 27, 2010.

1. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    I was out with the encore last evening and had my first ever misfire/light strike. On the next attempt the hammer would not cock. I could pull it back but I could not get it to stay back, it would not catch.

Any ideas?

MJO

2. yankee

yankee Senior Member

can you see any rust down inside the action?? my only best guess would be excessive rust on your action spring has things mucked up, if the problem involves the action, my best advice is send it in to TC

3. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    I got home today and took the barrel off and re attached it. The first time I pulled the hammer back it held!!!! Felt good let it down, called my daughter down to tell her about it, and showed her....hammer would not stay back!

Huh

MJO

4. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    itd be in the mail goin to T/C if it was me

5. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    Got it fixed. Someone on another forum pointed out that the only thing that has changed is the stock. Maybe the stock bolt it too long and interfering with the action. I took it apart and added a few small washers and presto problem solved.

MJO

6. Steven

Steven Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Fenton/Owensville
    I'd sent it to TC.

7. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    [rquote=1867171&tid=129892&author=MJO21]Got it fixed. Someone on another forum pointed out that the only thing that has changed is the stock. Maybe the stock bolt it too long and interfering with the action. I took it apart and added a few small washers and presto problem solved.

MJO[/rquote]

Good deal! :cheers:

8. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1867171&tid=129892&author=MJO21]Got it fixed. Someone on another forum pointed out that the only thing that has changed is the stock. Maybe the stock bolt it too long and interfering with the action. I took it apart and added a few small washers and presto problem solved.

MJO[/rquote]you went with a different stock or changed the bolt????

i guess 1 must know all the info to fix the problem

9. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    I still used the same cut down stock and the same bolt. I added 3 small washers to the bolt to serve a shims or spacers sot he bolt could not go in as far.

MJO

10. yankee

yankee Senior Member

do you have the standard stock or thumbhole???

11. sambo3006

sambo3006 Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Christian County
    Check out www.bellmtcs.com . Lots of info there. Sounds like a headspace issue with your ammo. As far as the hammer not staying back the second time, try opening and closing the frame, that should do the trick. Good luck!

12. Steven

Steven Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Fenton/Owensville
    I just sent mine to TC. It cost me $103 just to ship it. Because it's a gun, fed ex has to ship it as priority mail

13. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    [rquote=1870171&tid=129892&author=Steven]I just sent mine to TC. It cost me $103 just to ship it. Because it's a gun, fed ex has to ship it as priority mail[/rquote]WOW, don't think I'd use fed ex again. I shipped one of my Rugers back for warrenty work last year for $16 plus insurance through UPS.

14. Steven

Steven Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Fenton/Owensville
    I tried UPS but they wouldn't take it unless if I took it to a UPS hub. None of which are close by to me in Fenton.

15. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    I have the synthetic thumb hole stock. I love it. I bought a used wood stock for my kids, I cut it down to fit them. The issue was with the bolt in the wood stock. It did not have any washers on it. There fore it tightened too tight and the too long of a bolt went too far in and was causing issues with the barrel not locking properly. I took the stock off and added three small washers to the stock bolt and reattached the wood stock and it works perfectly.

The problem is solved.

MJO

16. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    When i have to send a gun to amnufactorer i take it to where i baught it and they ship it. Not cost nearly as much as taht.

17. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1871348&tid=129892&author=MJO21]I have the synthetic thumb hole stock. I love it. I bought a used wood stock for my kids, I cut it down to fit them. The issue was with the bolt in the wood stock. It did not have any washers on it. There fore it tightened too tight and the too long of a bolt went too far in and was causing issues with the barrel not locking properly. I took the stock off and added three small washers to the stock bolt and reattached the wood stock and it works perfectly.

The problem is solved.

MJO[/rquote]i understand the gun is functioning, what im not understanding is the shortened stock caused the problem, i guess my question is this, did you shorten the stock at the receiver end or did you shorten it at the recoil pad end, if it had been shortened at the recoil pad end, i doubt there would have been a problem seeing the bolt goes up through the pistol grip

18. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    [rquote=1871397&tid=129892&author=yankee][rquote=1871348&tid=129892&author=MJO21]I have the synthetic thumb hole stock. I love it. I bought a used wood stock for my kids, I cut it down to fit them. The issue was with the bolt in the wood stock. It did not have any washers on it. There fore it tightened too tight and the too long of a bolt went too far in and was causing issues with the barrel not locking properly. I took the stock off and added three small washers to the stock bolt and reattached the wood stock and it works perfectly.

The problem is solved.

MJO[/rquote]i understand the gun is functioning, what im not understanding is the shortened stock caused the problem, i guess my question is this, did you shorten the stock at the receiver end or did you shorten it at the recoil pad end, if it had been shortened at the recoil pad end, i doubt there would have been a problem seeing the bolt goes up through the pistol grip
    [/rquote]

Ok, now I understand. The problem had nothing to do with the stock. The problem was only with the stock bolt, it was too long. When I bought the wood stock it came with its own bolt. When I put the bolt into the receiver end I did not add any washers to the bolt so it went too far into the action part of the gun. My thumb hole stock has its own bolt. The bolt has a wide plastic washer and a lock washer on it. I would assume that if I took the washer and lock washer off the thumb hole stock I would have the same problem.

I hope this helps, but it may not, I am actually getting confused myself by my poor explanation skills!

MJO

19. yankee

yankee Senior Member

ok got it now, total sense, because if the stock was shortened correctly, the bolt with said washers wouldn't change whatsoever, a longer bolt could in fact give troubles

20. kevthebassman

kevthebassman New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Eureka
    [rquote=1870348&tid=129892&author=Steven]I tried UPS but they wouldn't take it unless if I took it to a UPS hub. None of which are close by to me in Fenton.[/rquote]

Were you shipping a rifle or a pistol? I paid somewhere around $80 to ship a pistol a year or so ago. Rifles don't have to be shipped next day. Look on the carrier's website and print out their rules. I had to do this to ship a rifle once. The folks at the UPS store tried telling me that they couldn't ship guns, period. I printed out their own rules for them and took them in and showed it to 'em. They had that in front of them, made a phone call, and boom, twentysomething dollars to ship.