Switching back to alluminum arrows

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by Meller, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I have a friend that says he is done with carbon and going back to alluminum. He is shooting .340 easton epics and says he is not geeting passthrus...ever. He has shot 4 deer this year recovered 2 and only had one passthru. I am thinking to myself that he probably is hitting the shoulder, but on one deer he swears he hit the ribcage...maybe even a little too far back. He thinks he hit a rib, exactly square and it didnt break. Not sure if I'm buying that. He pulls 70# and probably has 425 grins total arrow weight.

Either way he said he always had passthrus with alluminum and is switching back...i tried to talk him into trying FMJ or Pile drivers but no dice. Just gets me thinking if anyone else has made the switch back?

2. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    I shoot gold tip 5575 carbon arrows out of my mathews DXT and 70# and 28" and it will break through both shoulder blades everytime and pass through.

3. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    His bow is probably not tuned right or something because at how fast these bows are shooting if your bow is properly tuned it will bust straight threw that bone.

4. WhiteTailer

WhiteTailer Active Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Centralia
    I never made the switch to carbons in the first place....never had a reason too...always killed deer.

5. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Carbon should out penetrate aluminum, something is not right.

6. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    [rquote=1883018&tid=131149&author=BowHunterKc]I shoot gold tip 5575 carbon arrows out of my mathews DXT and 70# and 28" and it will break through both shoulder blades everytime and pass through. [/rquote]

:rof2:

7. HOCOMO Hunter

HOCOMO Hunter New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    I shoot epic 340s weigh in at 418 w/100 gr head 70# truth 2. 4 kills 3 pass through the fourth hit entry shoulder and oppisite rib. I figure thats my fault not the equip.

8. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I'd be curious to hear more about the broadhead design, broadhead sharpness, shot distance and angle of his shots. Because if that bow is properly tuned and if those arrows are properly spined for the bow weight and/or broadhead weight they should be flying laser straight and like igor said carbon should out penetrate aluminum every day of the week. I suppose it's possible to have a run where you don't get a pass thru but assuming his arrow flight is good and he is shooting at reasonable archery distances the odds say he should be getting pass thru at least part of the time if not always.

9. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i had a bad yr like that, about 7yrs ago, something with my setup was wrong, and the arrows were coming out sideways literally, i hit a good buck at 12yds he was dead broadside, and as he trotted away, my arrow was laying up tight against his body, i thought what the????? and headed for the paper tuning board at the local archery shop, it was a 3 step fix, and the main thing he did was refletch my arrows with a more pliable fletch, i can't recall what else was wrong

10. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    :thinking: :bull:
    I'd say blaming arrow material for lack of penetration is kinda like blaming shot placement on a broadhead. :wave:

11. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Switching to aluminum won't do anything for penetration. Tuning your bow and going up in arrow weight will do more than anything. Most people switch to carbon for less weight going for an increase in speed. With the same bow, the only way to increase speed is to reduce weight. It takes weight and energy to penetrate, not speed.

I switched to carbon several years ago, but I am still launching 405 grain arrows. Do I get 300+ FPS? No, but I am around 285 out of a 62# Reezen 6.5, but with a tuned, sharp Muzzy broadhead, I can guarantee you they will blow through any whitetail. I know for a fact they will stick in a green Hedge tree over an inch up the shaft...

12. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :D Something's wrong, and it isn't the arrow material. :D

Parker

13. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Definately Gold tip 5575s

14. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    I had a guy once tell me he switched back to alu because he "shot the spine out of his carbon arrows in a few weeks". Amazing.