Swing and a miss!

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by dhaverstick, Oct 2, 2017.

1. dhaverstick

dhaverstick High-tech Hillbilly

Jan 12, 2012
    Fair Grove, MO
    With all the new posts showing successful bow kills, I wanted to show you that it is possible to miss a big doe with a longbow at close range.

This happened Saturday evening at my farm. I was hunting at the mouth of Shop Holler over a patch of clover. I had my ghillie suit on and I was in my favorite hidey hole awaiting deer to feed. I love this spot because I sit in a gully and have great concealment. The bad part is I sit so low that my point of aim for a deer's vital has my arrow at grass level. I know when I let go of the string I instinctively raised my point of aim a bit causing me to shoot right over her back. Oh well, it ain't the first time I've missed and it surely won't be the last!

Darren

Dafish, Maddog3355 and beanpile like this.
  2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Less work when you miss :clap:

3. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Clean miss, better than a dirty hit. :tup:

4. DonJuan

DonJuan Active Member

Jan 30, 2012
    S.E. Mo.
    Got nervous being on camera :D
    I'd hate to be the next deer

5. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Look like she Jump the String.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin just runs up and bite them.

6. Mailman

Mailman Retired Drip (Expert)

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    A fully alert deer can dodge an arrow even if the shot is heading to where you aimed.

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Sometimes the deer win even when they are in range. Get one next time.

8. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    This is why some starting to use Crossbows don't understand a Compound shoots just as fast and is much quieter and Recurve or Longbow quieter yet.

oneshot
    :D the Big Grin is very quiet.

9. dhaverstick

Jan 12, 2012
    Fair Grove, MO
    There wasn't no string jumping, I just flat missed that deer!

Darren

10. Mailman

Mailman Retired Drip (Expert)

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I could tell by the angle....and I applaud you for admitting it here on MWT.

Back in the day prior to compounds I sent 5 arrows at a young buck 25 yards out in a bean field and he dodged every one. He just stood there looking at me...I stood there looking at him with an empty quiver as he pranced off into the woods nearby snorting (laughing) all the way. That was one of many lessons I've learned over my years of traditional archery hunting and I'm sure there are more to learn in my future.

11. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    No Kidding .... I'm not that brave !:scared:

fishshooter and Mailman like this.
  12. Ultimate Predator

Ultimate Predator Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Nixa, MO
  13. dhaverstick

Jan 12, 2012
    Fair Grove, MO
    Are you kidding? I could shoot a DayGlo orange arrow into a field filled with nothing but white cotton balls and still never find the dang thing! The field drops off a bit on the other side of that food plot. I was hoping that the angle of flight would leave my arrow sticking out of the ground and visible. That was not the case. It's buried somewhere under 6" of grass. Dad will probably find it with a tractor tire.

14. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Many think I'm kidding but back when I first started I would wear Bibs, Green Shirt or Field Jacket, Camouflage paint on my Face and Hands. Stand next to a Tree, smoking until I seen Deer. Let Deer go by me and shoot them quartering away,

Very seldom got busted. I guess Deer were more stupid back then.

Last two seasons I've used Leaf Suites and seem to work fine. I have considered Ghillie Suites.

Oh well glad it was a clean miss better luck next time.

oneshot
    :D oneshot won't take the Big Grin.

15. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    Would have been funny if you shot it in the back of the head. You were REALLY close to doing that!