Surgery slowed me down but got a bird anyway!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Hotrod, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Hotrod

Hotrod Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Mexico,MO
    Hey guys glad to see some of you all are haveing some luck with the turkey's. I too scored on a Tom opening morning. I was so worried after having back surgery back there the 5th of April that turkey hunting this season would be out of the picture for me. But with the alot of walking to get my back in shape it all came together. Now I guess you all are ready for the story well hear it goes. Frist of all Iam to stiff and sore in the lower part of my back to get up and go in the morning. My best freind call's me monday morning around 7:15 telling me that he had shot a nice tom and that the bird's wear we hunt wear going crazy. That I need to get my but up and get ready because he was coming by and getting me. So we get to are spot around 8:30 and of corse you guessed it the turkeys had shut up so we walked about 200yards and set down.We put out a decoy and did some loud an aggressive calling for about 45min's. ,and never struck up a bird. So we decided to go back to the truck and drive into town and get something to eat and then come back around 10:30. Well on are way back to are hunting property we saw a tom strutting in a powerline clearing at the end of one of the pasture's on the property so we both made a mark of wear he was at .So we went up and parked the truck and off we went after him.The pasture he was in has rolling hill's with some terrace's in it we made it to a big oak tree out in the middle of this pasture at this time we wear about 180yard's from wear we marked the tom. We set down and did some calling we heard nothing after maybe 30min. I told my buddy if he could get to the top of the hill and maybe look over the terrace and see if he could see the tom. So he got to the top of the terrace and spotted the tom laying down under a oak tree about 80yard's from wear he was at. So he motion for me to come up to wear he was I could walk most of the way but I had to belly crawl may 40yard's. So I make it up to wear he's at by this time the tom is up walking right to us. I looked over the terrace and the tom is maybe 40yards away in full strutt walking right at us. Now Iam still on my stomach at this time I push my safety off and Iam trying to get my knee's up under me so I can raise up and get a shot off. My buddy is still watching him he tell's me you better get up and take him now he's getting close. So I raise up this tom was probably 15 feet from me with his head down eating he neaver new we was evan there when I took the shot that Rem. 870 sure did a job on him. He weight 18lbs had a 9" beard with 1"spur's. It may not be the biggest bird but it will be one I will neaver forget. Sorry the story was so long. I will have some picture's soon.:banana:

2. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Great! Get us those pics, we love them! Glad you got out there with the surgery nor being that long ago!

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    congrats! cant wait to see the pic :cheers:

4. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Wow...great hunt AND great story... :cheers:

Now ~ let's see some pic's! :pop:

5. River