Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well wasn't Lefty in for a suprise today...

For those who didn't know: today happens to be kids fishing day. And Lefty and the parents went trout fishing at Meremac Springs this morning. (The little bro had a sectional track meet today in Rolla---and he qualified for state in the 200, as a soph).

AND WOWZA! Were there a lot of people fishing today! :eek:

Luckily about 90% of the kids fishing people fished in the kids only section, which was about 200 yards of the stream.

Anyways, Lefty anf the parents went down the stream a ways... Down to the bridge if you know where that is.

We all ended up with our limits by 8 o'clock.
AND I'll be the first to say Berkley's Powerballs are awesome! I'll never use cheese bait again. White was the trick for today though...

Sorry, but the camera is down for right now so there's no pics.

And hopefully everyone enjoyed the story anyways: in third person and all! (it was a tribute the DSG I guess...)

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that all of the trout we kept were well above the average you can usually catch there!

And I forgot to mention how much fun Lefty had p'oin... Trout parks are a blast!
You catch a fish and people all of the sudden hate you...

:wink4::wink4:

·
Under appreciated
92,571 Posts
Well.. a city dweller scores again!!;) Congrats to you AND your little bro! :banana:

I was introduced to Berkleys powerballs last summer in CO.. Wifey loves em and
we did quite well for ourselves.

Enjoy! And please post how you prepare the trout... I'm always hungry for trout!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... we do them something like this!

First you need to have those fish basket things that you put on the grill. They are shaped like a fish and they open up... hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Anyways... All you need to do to the trout is gut them. Breaking/cutting the heads off are optional.

Stuff the trout with a combination of butter, lemon slices, salt & pepper, and 1-2 slices of raw bacon, and some sliced onions.

Wrap the trout in about 4 slices raw bacon and use tooth picks to keep the bacon in place and the cavity of the trout closed.

Cook til the bacon is crispy and the trout should be fully cooked.

Take out of baskets, and remove the fillet. The skin should fall off very easily and the fillet should slide off the bones easily as well.

ENJOY!

**We always make potatoes with this too...
First boil however many taters you are hungary for about 5 minutes. (About half cooked)
Take them out and skin if desired. Then cut them in cubes.
Combine the cubes taters with butter, salt & pepper, onions, and whatever other spice you may feel like and wrap in foil and cook right next to the trout: either on the grill or on the camp fire. **bacon may me added for extra flavor!

The Campfire Taters will cook for another 10 or so minutes and they're ready to eat!

Sorry about not really knowing exacts for the times... :neuspeuter:

·
Under appreciated
92,571 Posts
Sounds like a great way to do'em.. never tried the bacon method.. I'll try it.
I always like'em with sweet bell peppers, butter, seasonings
as to your taste on the inside... and YES.. we know about the grill basket! Essential
for live fire cooking.

Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.