Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the late side due to wet conditions, but finally got them planted. Was planning to use my corn planter, but after the first half acre plot, I noticed no fertilizer was dropping. Upon further inspection, yep, broke. So on to plan B. Break out the spreader & broadcast seed, followed by fertilizer, followed by hooking up the cultipacker/spring tooth.

Neighbor hooked me up with chemical & has been advising. After rolling, applied sunflower safe pre emergent. Supposed to followup in 30 days with cleth & another post emergent to prevent weed seed from germinating. Likely going to have to terminate chemically to have them ready in time for doves.

Last night I broadcast & rolled german millet in strips along the edges of each plot. Hopefully it'll finish early & I can burn it to get the local birds primed to the area. Approx 5 acres total, over 4 plots in 2 different fields.

Hopefully we figure this out, cause I got another neighbor wanting to plant flowers next year. Be nice having multiple fields to hunt in the same area.

·
1,383 Posts
I'm right there with you. We just planted ours Friday night late. I'm also figuring on having to roundup ours to be ready to hunt over.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Can you just brush hog them down and then the seeds will dry down? Might be easier than trying to round up and them.

·
2 Corinthians 5:10
1,648 Posts
That's sure a purty looking farm pinwheel...
I have seed yet to plant, thanks for the reminder!

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
What is the pre and post emergent program you are applying?

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'll try to remember to check when I go down to the shop. He gave me 2 different pre emergent that were bean, suflower & corn safe.

·
1,383 Posts
I just use Broadax for a pre emergent and have a relatively weed free field. Only issue we've had in the past was the 4wheelers electric fi and the electric spray pump both competing for the battery would cause the very end of the field to have a few weeds. This year I bought a new Ranger with a full size battery and a new spray tank , hoping to have fixed that.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He gave me shut down & anthem max as pre emergent. I used the shutdown. In 30 days, I'm supposed to spray again with cleth, me-too-lachlor II & ams.

He said that me too lachlor is the most underused chemical for food plotters. Said I should put it in with my 2 4d & roundup when I spray my beans to keep small seed broad leafs from germinating.

·
1,358 Posts
I have tried to plant an acre of them and the friggin deer annihilate them as soon as they put a head on them. Nothing like an awesome field of sunflowers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts