Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright

I got my son his H&R super light youth .243 for his birthday. The rifle fits him really well as far as trigger pull, length, and weight. This one has the iron sights and is tapped and drilled for a mount. I know this has been discussed once before, but I need suggestions for a scope. I need something with good eye relief. I know the red dot has been suggested before and I am considering that idea. He has about $120.00 bucks that he has saved up. Also, what ammo do you suggest? Something lite to start out with. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'd recommend the Bushnell Banner in that price range I have 2 of them and am very satisfied with them. As far as ammo goes I'd probably start out with and try the Winchester super-x 100 grain.

·
Registered
481 Posts
try eabco.com and get him a good swift scope. check out the prices still from the internet summer sale

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Originally posted by Mike911
I'd recommend the Bushnell Banner in that price range I have 2 of them and am very satisfied with them. As far as ammo goes I'd probably start out with and try the Winchester super-x 100 grain.
nothing wrong with that scope or the Swift scope mentioned as well. i would go for a 3x9x40 in which ever brand you can get the best deal in. also poke around for Sightron I models and the Muellers. the sightron II models will be a tad out of your price range. any of those would work well for you as would a couple others out there. my son likes his .243 so far and we'll be shooting it this weekend i hope.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
M95.....If you are going to buy a red dot, THIS is the one you need, and THIS is the place you need to buy it. Tasco Pro Point 3.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=738827

I have ran one on my 870 and sent over 150 rounds of 3" turkey loads and 3" slugs through it, and it has ran flawlessly.

I have another one on my S&W 686 .357, and it has also worked flawlessly with 100's and 100's of rounds sent through it.

I HIGHLY reccommend you get this scope to put on it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My suggestion, let him buy something quality, but basic. Let him learn to shoot a basic scope, and then he can get something really fancy as he gains experience and earns more money to upgrade his gun later. If he starts out with all the best available, he doesn't have much to look forward too.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Originally posted by Marine95
Alright

I got my son his H&R super light youth .243 for his birthday. The rifle fits him really well as far as trigger pull, length, and weight. This one has the iron sights and is tapped and drilled for a mount. I know this has been discussed once before, but I need suggestions for a scope. I need something with good eye relief. I know the red dot has been suggested before and I am considering that idea. He has about $120.00 bucks that he has saved up. Also, what ammo do you suggest? Something lite to start out with. Thanks in advance!
Some questions if I may:
1) Has he shot this rifle with iron sites?
If your son has the fundamentals of iron sites down then a scope is a good idea, if not I would stick with the iron sites.

2) how far is he shooting?
If he is shooting around 100yds or less and number 1 is good a fixed power Leupold would be the way to go, check department stores or ****s they usually have some deals.
Fixed power because if he is on 9 power and needs 3 power it could be frustrating to try to get on target.

As far as ammo goes I personally would not use Winchester, Hornady would be my "factory ammo" choice. I say this because I reload and I had a run in with the Winchester phone rep about bullet weights.
If you want to know more about the ammo thing PM me I will tell you.
John

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Big John
Originally posted by Marine95
Alright

Some questions if I may:
1) Has he shot this rifle with iron sites?
If your son has the fundamentals of iron sites down then a scope is a good idea, if not I would stick with the iron sites.

2) how far is he shooting?
If he is shooting around 100yds or less and number 1 is good a fixed power Leupold would be the way to go, check department stores or ****s they usually have some deals.
Fixed power because if he is on 9 power and needs 3 power it could be frustrating to try to get on target.

As far as ammo goes I personally would not use Winchester, Hornady would be my "factory ammo" choice. I say this because I reload and I had a run in with the Winchester phone rep about bullet weights.
If you want to know more about the ammo thing PM me I will tell you.
John
He has not shot this rifle at all yet but will shoot it this weekend with the iron sights. He has shot my .22 which has no scope and did farely well.

He will only be shooting out to 100 yards at the most. Im going to put a few rounds down range and see how it does.

The guy at BP talked me into buying the Remington 90gr. swift scirocco's. Anyone use these. Too heavy?

Im gonna go looking tonight>

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
The weight is good. I know you had a $120 limit or there abouts but when he gets where he may want a change, the scope will be worth taking off and putting on the new gun. I hope you weren't offended by the question, without knowing the fundamentals a scope is darn near useless. I meant no offense.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Swift Scirocco's are awesome bullets!:cool::cool::cool: They may be the best available for 6mm. I think they would have the highest penetration of almost any good hunting bullet. Others I would consider and may be cheaper would be Nosler partitions 1st - they might open up a little faster, I am not sure. The Scirocco's will have better weight retention though if he shoots through the shoulders.
Hornady Interlock's 2nd - cheaper than either of the other two. Accurate and good design.
Any of these three would be good bullets in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.