Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the same technique and bait work for Suckers as you use for Carp?

I'm serious Guys!!

oneshot
:D The Big Grin lets Fish go in one side,bones out the other.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by GoGop
I think so, but I'm not sure. My buddy's grandpa in Bourbon, Mo was good at it, but he died years ago after Alzheimer's got him pretty bad.
I don't know why it wouldn't their diet is about the same.I know I catch alot of Buffalo on the Lake.

Won't be out that much going down to the river give it a try.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes Sweet Meat.

·
Registered
481 Posts
is it a big river, or a smaller one, the best thing about sucker fishing is you;ll catch everything else but a sucker!

:D The Big Grin better be an equal opprotunity catcher!

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by JBMan
is it a big river, or a smaller one, the best thing about sucker fishing is you;ll catch everything else but a sucker!

:D The Big Grin better be an equal opprotunity catcher!
Its the Niangua River.All the Fish are good in it.I'm going to use Worms too.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin has a little one.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Originally posted by oneshot 1
The Big Grin has a little one.
:eek: Too Much Information :eek:

·
Under appreciated
92,533 Posts
"Theres a sucker born every minute."

P.T. Barnum (I think)

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
I'm serious too One Shot. I usually grab hook suckers in our clear ozark streams but you can catch them with very small hooks with red wigglers or small pieces of nite crawlers. One nite crawler will be enough for 4 or 5 bait sets. Larry Whiteley from Bass Pro in Springfield had an article on sucker fishing in one of the local mags. Here is the link:http://www.bigosports.com/whiteley-mayjune05.htm Suckers are a fine treat if you know how to fix them right. I do know that they live in the best of streams. If the stream is the least bit poluted they leave or die off. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i am also curious how to catch these things. we have tons of suckers in a creek that runs through out farm.

what does scoring do? do you still chew the bones up or do they get mushy when you cook the fish?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Originally posted by Booches
Gigging is the best way to get hogsuckers
AMEN this guy knows his stuff.....

there alot better eating in the winter too once the water warms there not much pretty mushy.

you got to score them and cook them in good hot oil too.

the scoring makes most of the bones basically disolve when there cooked if you just clean them and cook like you would bass or crappie they will be to boney to eat.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by thh058
i am also curious how to catch these things. we have tons of suckers in a creek that runs through out farm.

what does scoring do? do you still chew the bones up or do they get mushy when you cook the fish?
thh, have you tried bowfishing them in that creek? It's a blast!!! HFFF covered your scoring Q...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
fireman...i've never really bowfished. i really want to get into it, but don't really have the time right now. school, work and trying to hunt/fish keep me too busy to try it right now. here soon as i finish up, i plan on givin' er a whorl!

those lil suckers (no pun intended :rotfl: ) are small though....must be a pretty good shot to get one!

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
When ya get time, get yourself set up, maybe we can hit the river or some potholes for some carp from the bank if nuttin else... Do yourself a favor, and save up enuff pennies for an AMS Retriever Reel....you won't be sorry!!! And in my opinion, some Muzzy arrahs...ya just can't beat em, specially in rocks!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.