Successful Kansas Turkey Hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Chairman, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    You just never know what the day's gonna bring, eh?!

I was sitting here minding my own business last week, when my brother called to ask if I wanted to join him on a Kansas turkey hunt.

Well ~ being the procrastinator that I am, I had just began preparing for Missouri's turkey season, but I was nowhere close to being ready ~ let alone being prepared to hunt Kansas in a few days. That's right ~ I got a whole 3 days notice... :eek:

So ~ what do I do? I said "Yes", of course... :D

I immediately go to Kansas Dept. of Wildlife & Parks website, and start a checklist of everything I'm gonna need to be legal. Funny thing is, I was born & raised in Kansas ~ but never hunted there. Anyways ~ I buy the license & tags I needed, on-line. Got that squared away ~ now I need to start packing...

Friday (4/21) arrives, and I hit the road. I'm heading to Linn County, where my brother leases an 80 acre farm. I arrive, unload all my gear, and we both pattern our shotguns in the front yard. Lookin' good, so far...

Well, I'm in for a surprise ~ another brother shows up, and he brought his son. We're having a family hunt! We haven't hunted together, for over 4-5 years. What a treat!

I don't see my family that often, so we ended up staying up all night visiting. Five o'clock AM rolled around pretty early, and we began loading up in the truck. I would be hunting with my oldest brother, along a treeline on the back of the property. My 2nd oldest brother hunted the middle of the property, with his son.

Once we got settled, and it was beginning to get light, we had gobblers all around us. Every time we called, a gobbler answered. My brother & I were both grinning from ear to ear. For awhile, anyways...

The gobblers would answer our calls, but none were coming closer yet. At 7am, we had a hen come into our decoys, but she left after about 5 minutes of checking 'em out. She wasn't alarmed or spooked when she left, so we thought we were still OK. My brother started calling again, after giving the hen time to clear the area.

Shortly thereafter, we had 2 Toms coming to us, for about 20 minutes or so, then they shut up. We kept our eyes peeled, thinking that they may be coming the rest of the way silent. No such luck...

Later in the morning, we heard 2 more Gobblers, in the East corner of the field. They answered our calls, but wouldn't come our way. We heard them walking away, in the opposite direction. Oh well...

About 11am, we decided to head for the house. When we arrived, my brother & nephew were already there, reporting that they couldn't get any Toms to commit either. We were all pretty wiped, since none of us got any sleep the night before, so we filled our bellies, and we all took a power nap...

I tried to, anyways. The temperature was in the mid-to-high 80's, and my brother doesn't have A/C, so all I really did was stretch out for awhile (and sweat), which was better than nothin, I guess...

My oldest brother is the local mechanic, and a guy stopped by with truck troubles, so my brother told me to just go ahead and go hunting with my other brother & nephew Saturday afternoon, 'cause he was gonna be busy for awhile.

So ~ we headed out around 4:30pm (a little late), and headed for the Northeast corner of the property, where we had heard a few gobblers earlier that morning. Got settled, started calling, and...nothin'. We heard a few gobbles in the distance, but none close to us. It sounded like they had all vacated to the property to the East of us. We stayed until dark, hoping to hear some turkeys fly-up, but again ~ nothin...

Back to the house, eat dinner ~ and I passed out in the easy chair, in the living room. There was no waking me, so that's where I woke up the next morning.

Up & at 'em, at 4am. Out the door by 5am. My oldest brother joined us again, but the nephew had deserted us last night. He had been text messaging a girl all night last night, and we gave him a hard time, asking him if he was going to chase turkey's or girls. Well, he pretty much decided to leave & chase girls. Oh well ~ what can you do? It ain't easy keeping a 24 year old interested in hunting turkeys with his old fogey Dad & Uncles, when he's got girls on the brain... :roll2:

Anyways ~ my brothers & I decided to hunt together this morning. We hadn't hunted the Northwest corner of the property yet, so we headed that way. We had heard a lot of gobbling in this area yesterday morning, but they wouldn't come our way ~ so we went to them.

My oldest brother hunted the far-side of the corner, and my other brother & I hunted the near-side of the corner. We put the decoys between us, figuring if the Gobbler(s) came down either lane, one of us should have a shot. And Yes ~ we made sure we wouldn't be in either's shooting lane, and no danger of cross-fire.

We called, then listened. Nothin'... Again, we called, then listened. It wasn't looking good ~ at all. Of course, there was gobbling where we were hunting the day before, which seemed to be how things were gonna go.. Whenever we moved to where we heard gobbling, we always heard gobbling from where we had hunted before. I think the turkeys were onto us, from the beginning...

Around 7am, my brother across the way stood up, and walked right toward us ~ right through our decoy set-up! My other brother & I just looked at each other, in disbelief. What the H*** is he doing?!

When he got to our make-shift blind, I could tell that he was upset. He said he had enough of this, and was gonna do something about it. I've seen that look in his eyes before, and believe me, you don't get in his way, when he's like that. You just shut-up & listen...and we did.

He felt that the turkeys were avoiding this area, because there was some turkeys taken from the field where we were hunting, on the opening week. He said that he believes we ought to move, and right now. A neighbor of his had offered to let us hunt his property, and he knows where there are some turkeys over there that hadn't been pressured ~ but if we were going to do it, we needed to move fast.

We didn't argue ~ we just started packing up. We drove over to the neighboring property, chose a corner in a treeline overlooking a promising looking field to hide in, and got the decoys set up. Once we got settled, I looked at my watch ~ 7:30am.

As soon as we started calling, we got an answer ~ and he sounded like the Boss Tom himself! He was coming from behind us, and closing quick. That's about right, too ~ the camo material we used to hide me & my wheelchair stretched from a tree trunk on my left side, all the way around the front of me, but didn't quite cover me entirely on my right side. Which is exactly the direction he was coming from...uh-ohhhh :eek:

Five minutes later, he came through a corner of the fence, behind us. My oldest brother was on the West side of the corner, and my other brother & I were on the North side. As the Tom came into view, he was less than 10 feet to my right. He went into full strut, and started spitting & drumming. It was more than obvious, he had already spotted the jake decoy with the 2 hen decoys, in our set-up.

He could have busted me at any time. I couldn't believe that I had a Tom strutting right next to me! Talk about a rush...

As he cleared the treeline (and us), he made a bee-line for the decoys. I was nervous as H***, bringing my shotgun up. I got the beads lined up, and all I needed now, was for my brother to get the Tom to come out of strut. My brother tried & tried, but the Tom wouldn't cooperate. The Tom was too focused on whooping some jake butt...

Just as the Tom reached the decoys, he turned to his left, went into half-strut, and stuck his head out...BOOM!

He dropped like a sack of rocks... :banana:

I started shaking like a leaf, as the adrenalin rushed through me. It was all I could do, to stay calm, cool & collected, as that Tom strutted past me earlier. Well ~ it all came out at once, now that the deed was done.

Finally ~ an end to my 7-year dry spell... :dancin:

[​IMG]

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Outstanding...................Congrats

3. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
  4. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Congrats! Great story.:banana:

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    WHEW! What a story! :eek: I'm glad you found the time to post that one up Chairman!

So what's in store for hunting the rest of the spring in KS and MO?

Parker

6. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I'm hunting with Jack & DSG this weekend, in northern MO. After that, I'll more-than-likely be hunting my property the rest of the MO season.

Then it's back to Kansas, to try & fill my 2nd tag. Their season closes on May 31st, so there's plenty of time... :D

7. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    Awesome. Beautiful bird there. That's exciting stuff. :cheers:

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    thats a fine bird chairman. its great to hunt with freinds and family.

9. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Geez ~ I forgot to mention the details... :banghead:

24.4 lbs.

11" beard

Spurs: 1 1/4" & 1 3/8"

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Well I already knew about his but I want to again Congratulate Da Chairman on finally breaking his dry spell on the Tom turkey birds!! Way ta go Rick!!:cheers::cheers::cheers: We're gonna break it in Missouri this weekend too.:dancin:

Jack

11. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
  12. semodeerhunter

semodeerhunter New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    perryville mo
    congrats on the great bird and story.

13. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

:banana:

Oh my ~ I've been so excited, I haven't thought to pick up my tags yet... :eek:

Remind me to confrim our reservations too, Jack. Please.....

14. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    way to go c man. congrats. :cheers::cheers:

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Chairman.. great story and great turkey bird! Congrats!:wave:

16. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    NC
    Thanks for that great story! GREAT looking bird too!

17. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    WAY TO GO, RICK!!!! I got to hunt with my "brothers" yesterday, too. Awesome!

18. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    great bird and even great story chairman, congrats :cheers:

19. JimBow

JimBow New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    Blue Springs
    Thats Great Chairman!!!!!! Man when I started I had a long dry spell and it is great to break it. Congrats:cheers::banana:

20. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Heck of a bird there Chairman. Congratulations. :eek::cheers: