Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trolling the local pawn/gun shop this morning, mostly to look at the new Savage-esque CZ Model 457s they had in stock. While I was oogling the 457s, another rifle caught my eye. Same make (CZ) but one of the earlier 452 Scouts, made around 2011, according to the barrel stamps.
I already have a wonderful 452 American, which shoots great, and two 455s, a Stainless Synthetic and a Scout (Stumpy). Stumpy is a remarkably great little gun, it shoots as well as the larger 452 American, which is by itself an excellent-shooting rifle.

Anyways, this 452 Scout has a LOT of appeal to it, the sights are great, and unobtrusive, too, unlike Stumpy's big old sights. The Lilliputian 452 came home with me, and I hope Stumpy can show him how to act. What the heck, if I don't feed it, it won't eat anything.
It would be nice if we got some decent weather to try it out. So far, that hasn't happened since I can't remember when.

Attachments

· Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was referring to that slot in the side of the new action, like on a Savage, where the root of the bolt goes when you run it forward. I never liked that. Yeah, I know Anschutz does their 64 actions like that, I don't like them, either.

· Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked in the closet and found an old Japanese-made Mauser 4X scope, with plain crosshairs, and a set of rings that will work. It looks pretty darned good, and handles like Harry Potter's wand. If the weather ever straightens up, I'll get it zero-ed and see if it shoots as good as Stumpy.
Stumpy is a shooting machine, I have it tucked into a full-sized stock, though, as it's easier to shoot off a bench that way. I don't have any spare 452 stocks hanging around, so Jr. will stay in the toothpick stock it came in. I like the heck out of it.

452s have a two-lug bolt, like any centerfire rifle, and the barrel screws into the action, again, like a centerfire rifle. They are built bull-strong for a rimfire.

It's not press-fit and pinned, like a cheap American rifle, and it's not clamped in, like a 77/22 or 10/22, or the 455, who's barrels are held in place with two grub screws.

· Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Family picture of my stumpy like CZs. Top is a 512 Suppressor Ready model, with my "ammo-testing scope" on it right now. Middle rifle is the new-to-me 452 Scout, and that old Mauser-marked (Japanese-made) scope. Bottom rifle is a 455 Scout, in an 455 American stock, with a Simmons 22Mag 3-9AO scope.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.