Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Making History
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping my neighbors will continue to pass and let them grow. Any thoughts on age? We have about thirteen different bucks on camera all ranging from fork horns, to a lot of 8's , 9's 10's and 12 with some cool G2's.

Attachments

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
No way to age based off those head on pics. I'd say none are mature though, the one broadside bigger deer looks to be 3-4 IMO.

·
Making History
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way to age based off those head on pics. I'd say none are mature though, the one broadside bigger deer looks to be 3-4 IMO.
Yeah I was just getting some photos up and looking into other post on growth this year. I was watching growingdeer.tv this morning on IG and the comment made with lack of rain and the available amount of vegetation for deer to grow has reduced antler growth. That really made a lot of sense to me and I just never thought of it that way.

·
13,611 Posts
Yeah I was just getting some photos up and looking into other post on growth this year. I was watching growingdeer.tv this morning on IG and the comment made with lack of rain and the available amount of vegetation for deer to grow has reduced antler growth. That really made a lot of sense to me and I just never thought of it that way.
Looks like a lot of vegetation in your pictures, they do not need food plots to grow big antlers,

just being sarcastic here, don't mind me:
did growingdeer tell you to put out a bag of Big Tine 30-06 and a 5 gallon bucket of water every day to grow big antlers? I watched that show one time, it was more about selling the latest and greatest thing then anything else

·
Registered
22,019 Posts
it is definitely true, but many on here will try and tell you that a drought won't affect a whitetails rack....

·
Making History
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
  • the broadside buck in the 1st picture, I would guess is very mature
    Last two years this buck has been the more mature of the dozens we have on the land. Had a cool video from my stand of him and two other bucks sparring.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Those are nice up and comers. I don't think any of them are mature, but shoot whichever one makes you happy, don't let the tv shows try to tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It's very true, especially in areas without any ag fields and deer have to rely on natural browse to grow antlers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Looks like a lot of vegetation in your pictures, they do not need food plots to grow big antlers,

just being sarcastic here, don't mind me:
did growingdeer tell you to put out a bag of Big Tine 30-06 and a 5 gallon bucket of water every day to grow big antlers? I watched that show one time, it was more about selling the latest and greatest thing then anything else
You're right there's a lot of product hawking, however Dr. Grant has some good research and techniques that are unique to Ozark bucks. I wade through the adds because I've found there's a lot of good information. I find his show to be more palatable than others.

·
Registered
483 Posts
the broadside buck in the 1st picture, I would guess is very mature
I'd agree as well. 4 years. This is a Ozark buck, not a northern Mo buck. That's a dandy in that part of the state. Sure it would be nice to let him grow, but when he comes out at 20 yards broadside chasing a doe, he'll likely get a arrow. That's a deer that I wouldn't mind hanging my tag on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It’s always easier for me to guess age from mid October through November, summer being the trickiest. That one is a dandy though and not knowing for sure how old he is would be a tempting kill for sure! Hopefully the neighbors pass on the others too though.

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,286 Posts
Pass all of those and they will be bigger next year. Your neighbors may take the time to post up and thank you

·
Making History
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hoping my neighbors will continue to pass and let them grow. Any thoughts on age? We have about thirteen different bucks on camera all ranging from fork horns, to a lot of 8's , 9's 10's and 12 with some cool G2's.
So, putting up some more photos on updates. These are from my Instagram. I couldn't get the pictures to work the other way. Was real surprised and happy with two of them. I have a 13 point with a drop tine on his left side.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts