State of the Union

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by Mailman, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    What was your take on "W's" speech tonight?

2. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo

3. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

<---------- See my screen name? That says it all. :cool:

(I'd be far more conservative though).

4. Arrow-1

Arrow-1 SuperSenior Member

:wink4::wink4::wink4::wink4::wink4::wink4::wink4::wink4 Just a buncha guys and gals waitin for the other side to do sumthin so they can blame them for sumthin they did and then the other guys wait for them to do sumthin so they can blame them for sumthin that they did but were hopin the other wouldnt do but did. This post makes about as much sense as warshington DC

5. Didn't catch it(working) but I saw the head line "America Is ADDICTED to OIL" well let's think, I wonder who makes it that way? That's all I'm gonna say.

BTH

6. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    I thought his speech was fine and typical for State of the Union.

The Democratic "response" was PRICELESS. I would hate to live in Virginia. What was wrong with that dude. It was hard to look at with one eyebrow permanently raised. I listened to every word and all he tried to do...in my opinion...was throw out buzzwords and begin planting a seed for the Democratic election campaigns of "We can do better."

At one point he started in on the War on Terrorism and the "we can do better" so I was waiting for his/their proposal. The only thing he proposed was more veterans benefits and higher recruiting bonuses.... Huh??? How the h.e. double hockey sticks is that going to win the War on Terrorism?

I also got a kick out of how the commentators on ABC were talking about that there was NO WAY the Dems would embrace his alternate fuel proposals, not because they are bad, but because a Republican brought it up and after all, this is an election year. So expect the same thing Bush said to be brought up by the Dems as soon as it is convenient for them.

7. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    Guess I'm gettn old cause I actually watched the whole thing...........Sure hope his getting us away from foriegn oil will help out the farmers with ethanol and bio-diesel (better commodity prices) and bring down these fuel prices. Still seems wild to see an oil person try to get away from it tho.:soapbox:

8. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    got to admit old bushy is a slick one "forget forgin oil and buy from my pumps here in texas"
    ok so he didn't say that word for word but you know thats what hes thinking

priceless

9. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    Also liked Mrs. Clintons smurks on everything..............she makes it so easy for everyone to dislike her.

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Throughout the whole speech I was waiting for someone to come over and punch Hitlery in the face and then put a bag over her head. Preferably a plastic bag.

Jack

11. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    WHoooo-WHooooooo!!!!

DSG LOVES that idea!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

(I hope we can't be invstigated by the FBI for saying that Jack?) :eek:

12. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I think we'll be fine.. The FBI hates her too!!:banana:

Jack

13. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I heard a lot of good stuff from Mr. Bush but I also heard a lot of pandering. "Our economy could not operate without immigrant workers"? What the crap is that? I know all of the arguements for and against this point but you don't appeal to nation of citizens who are SICK AND TIRED of illegal immigration by saying that we couldn't do without them!

And this whole topic of relieving our dependence on foreign oil just frustrates me. Instead of raising the budget of the Dept of Energy by 20% to give them more funds to look into other energy sources, why don't we tell ol' Jeb down there in FL that we're gonna start drilling off the coast regardless of what he and the tourist industry think. It wouldn't fix the problem but it would immediately reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

Again, lots of good stuff but there was lots of blowing smoke too.

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    No way to please the dems, but I agree with craig above.. their responses were priceless.

John Kerry on Today show this morning with Hatie Couric.. boy, his face looked way longer than usual.

15. I liked alot of what Mr. Bush had to say. Now whether he can implement and put some of his ideas into action is another thing.

All in all I think he has done well with what he's had to contend with. He has had a full plate in front of him the entire time in office.

No matter what party would have been in office this would have been a hard time for any president and I feel he's done a great deal with what he's been dealt.

ABOUT HILLARY....Watch out she might be your next president. Not because I would have voted for her but it could happen. Only one I think could beat her might be her husband.

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Say it aint so!

Last I heard, all models say that Hillary cant get the votes she will need to make a serious run at prez. She, at times, has appeared to move more to the center (I suspect to gain support for folks on the fence). But every so often, she will say something that reminds us just how dangerously left she is and can be.

On the other hand, I hope that shes the dem nomination. I think it would make the race infinitely easier for the gop.

17. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :cheers: NO KIDDING! MAN! IF I WAS A SMART MAN, I'D BE BACK IN THE CHEMISTRY LAB WORKING ON ETHANOL PRODUCTION TESTS!

I may have a chemistry degree.....but I just ain't that smart! :bangin:

Parker

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    http://rael.berkeley.edu/EBAMM/

Very good and recent study concerning the efficiency of ethanol produced by both corn and cellulosic (ethanol derived from fibrous plant materials such as corn stalks, some grasses, sugar cane,ect.)

Early studies that show a negative net energy value when producing ethanol were patently flawwed and this study re-works the numbers of 6 trials using up-to-date models and shows not only a net gain in energy, but also a slight reduction in greenhouse gasses. Good news but this technology is quite a ways off as far as wide-scale practical implementation. Simply put, we are gonna have to have oil for a while longer, like it or not!

19. It really doesn't matter what kind of alternative to oil they come up with because they will just drive the price of it up as well....

Look at the cost for electricity. WOW!!! I mean how hard is it. Something anyone can make with a balloon and a little hair. :confused:

20. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    all commodities are subject to this yet gas is the one that everyone is most sensitive about.

I cant do anything about the price of gas, so I dont worry about it. Kinda like the weather..