Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added a new laser to our shop. Been a steep learning curve for the past couple months, but we're getting the hang of things. The amount of things a person can do with one of these things is nothing short of jaw dropping, but it's a lot to learn & take in. But I'm confident it's going to eventually make a great addition to our cabinet shop.

Here's a few projects we've experimented with.
One of the first things I leaned to do with it. Went onto making key chains out of acrylic. Not only did it burn the design into the wood, it cut out the shape when it was done.

Cut lettering from solid oak

Cutout from 1/4" mdf Guess I'll quit throwing off falls from the shop in the dumpster.

Pictures have been the hardest thing for me to learn to do well. I'm getting close, but still need to become more proficient with photo editing software.

Helped Jenny's nephews design, build & burn a couple signs for their home.

Couldn't resist having a little creative fun at the newphews expense. Different twist on the same picture. The software with this laser is crazy cool with what it will allow us to do.

20210624_181407[1].jpg
20210624_181407[1].jpg
20210703_203953[1].jpg
20210711_075401[1].jpg
20210711_115801[1].jpg
20210711_154413[1].jpg
20210711_120216[1].jpg

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Very nice. I have a friend here that runs a pen making supply business and he does engraving with it. I have him laser pen boxes and game calls some. He said the engraver paid for itself in a month or so.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up going with an 80 watt co2 OMTech. It's a china knockoff that requires some hands on upgrades on the front end. Being mechanically inclined has helped with that part.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, what brand/model? I teach our students how to use one on a Glowforge. Wood shop kids use it to cut templates out of plexiglass(plenty of that around these days)for inserts.
Guy on a contractor forum got a diode laser to put his business logo on his cabinet drawers. That peeked my interest & got me researching. Wanted a laser with a big bed, 20x28 & the ability to cut as well as engrave. We'll likely be adding a 50 watt this fall with a rotary so we can do tumblers & glasses.

Floor business is starting to break this old man down, so we're looking to replace that part of our business within the next couple years. Hopefully we can develop this into a lucrative business.

·
Over There
8,750 Posts
Guy on a contractor forum got a diode laser to put his business logo on his cabinet drawers. That peeked my interest & got me researching. Wanted a laser with a big bed, 20x28 & the ability to cut as well as engrave. We'll likely be adding a 50 watt this fall with a rotary so we can do tumblers & glasses.

Floor business is starting to break this old man down, so we're looking to replace that part of our business within the next couple years. Hopefully we can develop this into a lucrative business.
If you need any tips on the design side I can be of help whenever, just shoot me a message and I’ll try to help. The Glowforge is a pretty user friendly setup(also limited) compared to yours, but the editing side is all the same. Get Adobe Photoshop, it will be a big help when editing photos(if you haven’t already).

Things as simple as personalized cutting boards are easy money makers. Have made some decent cash for my classroom making cutting boards with grandma’s recipe engraved on it.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you need any tips on the design side I can be of help whenever, just shoot me a message and I’ll try to help. The Glowforge is a pretty user friendly setup(also limited) compared to yours, but the editing side is all the same. Get Adobe Photoshop, it will be a big help when editing photos(if you haven’t already).

Things as simple as personalized cutting boards are easy money makers. Have made some decent cash for my classroom making cutting boards with grandma’s recipe engraved on it.

Preciate it. Getting a pretty good handle on the software. Lightburn is what we're driving the laser with & it's getting easier every day. Lightburn has a trace image option where you can pull the handwriting of the recipe cards off & put them on a cutting board.

If I remember right, you designed the original round MDS logo. The vector image Pete sent me wouldn't work with lightburn, so I had to recreate the logo. I'm not gonna lie, it had me scratching my head for about an hour before I figured out how to get the wording right around the circle.

I've gotta learn photo editing. My sister is a professional photographer & really wants to play on the laser. I'm going to trade her photoshop lessons for lightburn lessons & laser time. :)

·
Foul Language
446 Posts
Nice, what brand/model? I teach our students how to use one on a Glowforge. Wood shop kids use it to cut templates out of plexiglass(plenty of that around these days)for inserts.
Where you finding it? I've been on the lookout to try and make some windows for a deer blind but haven't any luck.

·
Over There
8,750 Posts
Preciate it. Getting a pretty good handle on the software. Lightburn is what we're driving the laser with & it's getting easier every day. Lightburn has a trace image option where you can pull the handwriting of the recipe cards off & put them on a cutting board.

If I remember right, you designed the original round MDS logo. The vector image Pete sent me wouldn't work with lightburn, so I had to recreate the logo. I'm not gonna lie, it had me scratching my head for about an hour before I figured out how to get the wording right around the circle.

I've gotta learn photo editing. My sister is a professional photographer & really wants to play on the laser. I'm going to trade her photoshop lessons for lightburn lessons & laser time. :)
Inkscape is a free editing software that saves as an SVG file that saves it in layers atleast for the Glowforge. Helps organizing scoring, cutting, and engraving.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Pinwheel have you produced any cutting boards?

Have a local guy down here who started with maybe a pack a month and is now using a full load (12,000 bf) every 6 weeks or so.

With your engraver, being able to customize cutting boards is huge. They primarily sell on web platforms and have targeted wedding events and things such as that.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Have a local guy down here who started with maybe a pack a month and is now using a full load (12,000 bf) every 6 weeks or so.

With your engraver, being able to customize cutting boards is huge. They primarily sell on web platforms and have targeted wedding events and things such as that.
I have not, but with our shop, cutting boards would be a piece of cake. I usually go on a bigger scale when making cutting boards, like full countertops butcher blocks.

Not sure what market we're going to go after for sure. One place we'll likely target this fall is the taxidermy market. Personalized fan/beard mounts is one thing I have in mind. We're got a big overhead pin router that makes doing plaques easy. But will likely add a cnc if that market takes off.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Wedding/special events is one market I think we could do well in. I mainly have in mind to perfect engraving on glass. Like tumblers, Champaign glasses, even wine bottles. People are usually pretty free with their fathers money planning a wedding. :)

·
Over There
8,750 Posts
I have not, but with our shop, cutting boards would be a piece of cake. I usually go on a bigger scale when making cutting boards, like full countertops butcher blocks.

Not sure what market we're going to go after for sure. One place we'll likely target this fall is the taxidermy market. Personalized fan/beard mounts is one thing I have in mind. We're got a big overhead pin router that makes doing plaques easy. But will likely add a cnc if that market takes off.
CNC is the way to go. Being able to set it and walk away to work on other projects is worth it. You can build one fairly cheap.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wedding/special events is one market I think we could do well in. I mainly have in mind to perfect engraving on glass. Like tumblers, Champaign glasses, even wine bottles. People are usually pretty free with their fathers money planning a wedding. :)
They do a lot of that.

The company is Naked Wood Works. Below is their website. Also when I mentioned a truckload of lumber all I was talking about is walnut. They go through a ton of maple as well.

·
#freetheninja
2,050 Posts
Dang! Nice work! Looks like you sure got the hang of it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts