Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Trapper and the STFUs
17,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I just moved up to NW Missouri on 200 acres and I am looking to put up five or six wooden stands. I was wondering if anyone had any plans or know where I can get some. I am wanting one or two of them to be 3x3 or 4x4 semi-inclosed. Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks!!!!

-Aaron :sniper:

·
5,632 Posts
Welcome to the site, Aaron!

Somebody will be able to help you. If it were me, I'd just start building!

·
Registered
70,470 Posts
I presume that you are speaking of stands on the ground. I'd get me a couple of 4x4 treated posts and build up from there. If you use the 4x4's as sled runners you can haul them to and from the fields in the bed of your truck or even pull behind a tractor or 4 wheeler. You can build them as big as you want. With them portable you can move them around to where ever you find the deer the most active. Good Luck!

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I figured you were talking about permanent tree stands, but mailman may have nailed it.
If you're talking tree stands it's all about finding the right tree. Then you just kind of have to build it. Frame it up, I like bigger trees with a three way split at some point. Build the frame using the three and crossbraces. Then the platform is easy. Then a seat. I just kind of play it by ear while building.
Two major things to remember...1. don't go at it alone...have someone on the ground to cut your boards and for safety. and wear a harness. 2. DO NOT UNDERBUILD IT! This is a serious safety issue, most hunters won't even hunt in them that I know. I use treated lumber and have zero fear in them, because I built them and KNOW they are secure.

If you are talking ground blinds...I've built a few of those to. I have pics from start to finish on the last one.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,296 Posts
Welcome to Missouri Whitetails Bustinbucks! I don't have any plans per se, but I do have some pictures of the type of stands that my brother and I built. It should give you some idea. In simple terms, we built them on simple measurements. Steps are 1', ladder sides are 14', platform is 3' x 3', brace around the tree is 5'. We used 3' threaded rods on both sides of the tree and basically squeezed the braces onto the tree. The ladder is bolted to the braces ahead of time so you know how high up you can go. Once the brace with the ladder is secured, just add your platform.

As time goes on, you'll want to loosen the nuts on the threaded rods as the tree grows. Otherwise, it will bust the brace.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Venatic. I really like that "clamp" set up. Some folks that hunt our property use these same type of stands but they drill into the tree and place a long :***: lag bolt in to hold it to the tree. (Which I don't mind.) But I think your system looks a little more substantial.

I like it. I'm gonna have to try my luck at your design. :cheers:

You know though, when you can buy a two man ladder stand for a C note it's getting to where it's cheaper to buy them than to build them like this.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
That's the truth with the price of lumber these days DSG!

I don't think I have any pictures of any of our stands, and I sure don't want to take a walk in this heat!
Those do look like a pretty good idea! I'm personally not a fan of the wooden ladders, but that's just a personal opinion. For steps I use railroad spikes (giant nails) in the tree.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Here is one of my stands. I use seatbelts to hold the stand to the tree. Just screw some lag bolts through the hole of the hardware and into the tree. Wish I had a better pic. This stand is only 8' off the ground. I use bike hooks to hang my bow from as I get up in the stand. These are real easy to make. In the past I would just go to new subdivision sites and ask workers for scrap wood. Now days they don't give it up as easy.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,296 Posts
Originally posted by BustinBucks
Venatic. Thanks for the pics. What part of florissant are you from?? That's where I just moved from!!! Right behind the Jack-in-the-Box on Howdershell accross from the JFK center.
I'm over by Hazelwood Central high school.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,296 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Venatic. I really like that "clamp" set up. Some folks that hunt our property use these same type of stands but they drill into the tree and place a long :***: lag bolt in to hold it to the tree. (Which I don't mind.) But I think your system looks a little more substantial.

I like it. I'm gonna have to try my luck at your design. :cheers:

You know though, when you can buy a two man ladder stand for a C note it's getting to where it's cheaper to buy them than to build them like this.
When we put our stands together, they cost us about $55 each in materials. Of course that was about 6 years ago. The hard part is putting them up. You need another ladder on the back side and a couple of bodies to put them up. I wouldn't worry about anybody walking off with them either.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,539 Posts
I was in Farm & Home in Macon yesterday. 1 man ladder stands for $69.

Originally posted by Hoytshooter
That's the truth with the price of lumber these days DSG!

I don't think I have any pictures of any of our stands, and I sure don't want to take a walk in this heat!
Those do look like a pretty good idea! I'm personally not a fan of the wooden ladders, but that's just a personal opinion. For steps I use railroad spikes (giant nails) in the tree.
I've found about 6 trees on my property that a guy used landscape spikes as steps. 20" white oaks with the first limbs 30'. Guy cost me a lot of money. Those trees are ruined as logs. I personally don't like putting metal in trees. Used to be a sawyer in a heading sawmill. When I seen the first hint of blue, that piece of wood went in the trash pile. Sure sign there was metal in that log.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.