Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Two schools of thought for me here...............for year after year ol faithful type stands...........get em up in July at the latest.

Most of my stands are placed the day before or the day of when I am moving with the hot sign. Hit em hard for a few days and move on..........if you havent tagged out.......the deer have prolly already moved.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
When I hunted my own private property, I had several permanent stands and blinds that always proved to be productive. Then I would use my two portable stands to customize where the deer seemed to be hanging out the most that year or to try new areas. Now that I will be hunting public ground, I wont be putting any stands up at all. I may carry my climber back there but it is so dang heavy that I am debating that. If I do, it wont be very far back cause it aint gonna do me much good to hunt after sweating like a pig carrying it back there. I have several ground blind locations picked out. Do to lack of time, most of my scouting will take place during early bow season.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm with you Arrow-1. I always tell myself that I need to get stands up in July at the latest so that I can leave an area alone until season. It just never seems to happen that way. So, what I usually end up doing is just hanging stands when I hunt so that the area is fresh. The only problem with that is that with the warm weather we seem to have during season, I end up sweating like a horse and probably ruining it anyway. :banghead:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,685 Posts
Nope. Most of my stand sites are picked though. Between my hunting partner, Jenny & I, we've got 4 api climbers that we'll leave on trees & move when we need to. Couldn't resist those $59 ladder stands at BP, so we bought 3. They'll go up pretty quick. I think we've got 3 or 4 hang on stands with quick sticks to find homes for yet.

So far, I've spent all my spare time working on my food plots. But the next available day, I'll hang stands. I'm ready to be hunting too.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
Nope. Most of my stand sites are picked though. Between my hunting partner, Jenny & I, we've got 4 api climbers that we'll leave on trees & move when we need to. Couldn't resist those $59 ladder stands at BP, so we bought 3. They'll go up pretty quick. I think we've got 3 or 4 hang on stands with quick sticks to find homes for yet.

So far, I've spent all my spare time working on my food plots. But the next available day, I'll hang stands. I'm ready to be hunting too.
Pinwheel, with that buck you've got, I'd make it a priority!!:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The places that I bowhunt are already to go! I usually get those done by early-mid July...

I still have a couple of climbers that I haven't decided where to put. I have to decide if I want to bow or gun hunt from them this year. That will dictact which try I will hang them from. Regardless, they will be going up this weekend AND I won't be hunting from them until mid-late October....so there is still time for everything to settle down.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If I lived on my propery I'd have my stands up by end of July, with a couple of stands in reserve for spots with Hot sign throughout the season, But since I dont live on my poperty I keep the stands in the shed until a few days before I hunt, then I retrieve them the final day I hunt and take them all down. Alot of work, but It's better than showing up to a set up to only find that a tresspasser had my stand!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Well my stands are up, and if I had more $$$ I'd be putting more up! :D

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,685 Posts
Originally posted by ladeerman
Originally posted by pinwheel

Pinwheel, with that buck you've got, I'd make it a priority!!:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
Thanks ladeerman.
Over the years, I've had some pretty good oppritunities at mature deer. Believe it or not, I've had my best luck at good bucks by not planning ahead & hunting by the seat of my pants. That's why I like my climbers, I can sneak into an area I never go, check for sign, skinny up a tree & see who shows. The big 8 I killed last year was done just that way, first time hunting that ridge. Big 10 on the wall, done just that way, natural growth ground blind. Lost the biggest buck of my life by making a bad hit, but I was on him the same way.

Too many things change in the deer world from now till the rut. Right now, all the deer are in the beans around my place. When the acorns start dropping, they'll move into the timber. If I were a gun hunter, I could more easily predict where my stands needed to be. But, as a bowhunter, I have to remain flexible because deer patterns will change twice between now & gun season. First change is with the changing of the food sources. Crops being cut, accorns dropping etc. 2nd change comes with hormones. Places I was getting a lot of pics during bow season last year, I'm getting nothing now, but they'll be back there soon.

This will be my 3rd season hunting my property. I'm leanring patterns, in time, I'll know what areas to put permanant stands that will produce year after year, just not there yet, but the puzzle pieces are coming together.

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
I hunt climbers, so I don't hang them until the day of the hunt, but if I were to hang them I would prolly do so a month in advance if I had a good spot already picked out.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've learned that tramping around my hunting areas setting stands just before the season starts is a sure way to spook the resident bucks. I stay out of the areas I'm hunting until the day I want to hunt.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I finished with the 5th and final lok-on last night. I hunt out of a climber most of the time because I feel the same as others about the 'first time' in a spot. These permanent stands are used for spots that are good, but with no suitable strait trees or spots where I can't make noise due to the proximity to food or bedding areas. Now the only reason I have to go in there is to plant my wheat and oats later and knock down shooting lanes in the corn.....oh, and check my camera (which isn't by any of the stands).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.