Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want you guys to think I forgot about you!
I just can't get enough of thse types of hunting knives!
Premium Sambar Stag Handle in a take-down configuration.
Nickel Silver hardware.
Forged down from 1" thick 5160 and given a differential heat treatment which leaves a nice and hard edge with a spring steel spine.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume you're taklking about the mirror finish on the guard and butt cap.
That's nickel silver that I shape out of large stock. Cut it, mill it, grind it, sand it by machine and mostly by hand - 220 grit, 400 grit, 800 grit, 1200 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit, and then to a high speed buffer with two different polishing compounds.
Then I spit on it and wipe it off on my shirt.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For Al

No, I didn't take this to a show, I just finished it!
I've probably made 20 of these, and hope to make 100s more!
Some people - even other knifemakers! - that every knife you make should be something new! that seems goofy to me.
Making knives - to me anyway - is a lot like making custom traditional bows. I say to make a few different models that perform well, and make them as good as you can! Then, add different models as time goes by to stay creative.
I use different handle materails all the time. A few different blade sizes. But my main goal is to make the best hunting and utility knife that I can.
The show went well.
I sold every knife like this that I had. And took orders for four more. Some people appreciate the take-down capabilities of my knives.
I'll be posting one tonight - maybe tomorrow - that is a little different. Non-take-down, no frills, small, E.D.C., (Every Day Carry) for the guy that doesn't need any "Flash"!
Stay tuned!
Thanks for your interest about the show.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
All I can say is you make some awesome looking knives. Wish I could afford to have you make one for me. But I have plenty of store bought knives that do the jobs I need. The other knives in your other posts look great also. Keep up the great work!:cheers:

I have a freind at work that is starting to make his own knives. Working on his 2nd one right now. He was asking me if I knew of a place that he could get elk antlers. Do you know where he could find antlers for knife handles? I am sure you do by the looks of all your knives. Please let me know so I can pass along.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Haha... I can see you taking the picture in the butt of the knife!

Seriously though, you do some amazing work!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For Al

Al, I use India Sambar Stag for my handle material. Just these pieces cost me $55.00 each. They are almost solid with almost no interior pith.
For elk, I would suggest a quick check on Ebay. Find somebody selling them that has an Ebay Store. They are usually taxidermy type people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.