Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday was sunny and 45. I figure this might be my last chance to get some squirrel hunting in before Feb 15th. With 2" of rain yesterday, rabbit hunting wouldn't of been any good anyways.

As you might be able to tell, the 17gr V max bullets did a number.
If you don't hit them in the head (which blows about half it off), you're going to lose the entire front half (because it's going to be ripped off when skinning).

I tell you what though - squirrels will flop around for a while with a 22lr. Sometimes you panic and want to rush over there before it gets away. This is a great advantage with the 17 --- you find you a blowdown (rest), you sit there, and you don't move.
It's definatly a peace of mind / insurance policy.
I still want to try out those FMJs or Gamepoints but right now I'm ok with these results. The back and hind legs are what you're after anyway.

One other note - in the summer woods the 17hmr gives a VERY sharp crack and it scares squirrels. With no leaves to echo the sound, the 17cal is reasonably quiet in the winter. Squirrels were not very spooked at all.

·
17,685 Posts
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

The ole 17 did the job for sure:woot::woot::woot:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,800 Posts
Nice!:cheers:

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
Looks like you found a shed as well???!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
Those are some dead looking squirrels right there!!
:2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
I love mine! Thanks for sharing your pics!

BTH

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Hope you weren't shooting at an upward angle:scared:

·
You're not a golfer.
7,130 Posts
Originally posted by akphelps
Gotta love the .17! They do crack pretty loudly though...
Squirrels don't seem to mind the crack too much. I've notices that squirrels will run and hide at the sound of my 17hmr but only for a few minutes.

On the other hand, getting up to walk over and make sure the critter is dead when shot with a 22LR will scare the squirrels and send them into hiding for at least 15 minutes, if not more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts