Squirrel Hunting ?

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by oneshot 1, Jul 11, 2017.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Would you take a chance getting up super early and Squirrel hunting this time of year putting up with Ticks and Chiggers?

Told my wife if I want to get 3 Deer early Archery Season I'm going to have to deal with the heat. Dang flies are the worse. I killed one when it was Hot, field Dressed the Deer and fought flies coming out of the woods.

:D The Big Grin can watch Squirrels from the window.

2. killmode

killmode Deplorable member

3. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    Spray your kill with vinegar when field dressing . I do this all the time elk hunting cause those flies and yellow jackets will carry one off out there . And you can not taste it may actually tenderize it seems .

Ticks and chiggers permithen or diesel fuel on my boots .
    mainstreet likes this.
  4. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    My biggest issue is where to find them now, I went out two weekends ago and will probably go this weekend. The mulberries are gone and they aren't cutting hickory nuts.

Little buggers are sure hitting the garden, one had a narrow escape last night, someone had put the 22 back in the safe and I didn't know it.
  5. dhaverstick

dhaverstick High-tech Hillbilly

Jan 12, 2012
    Fair Grove, MO
    I get up super early most of the time just because that's when I wake up. Then I figure if I'm awake then I might as well be hunting and that means squirrels this time of year. Besides, I sure do love the smell of burnt blackpowder in the morning!

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    I'm always up early also but usually stay out of the woods during July, August and early Sept. I used to brave the heat, chiggers & ticks but not often these days. I will go out if we get a cool snap and it rains and I've sprayed my clothes with permetherin.

fish, they're staying out of our garden, no doubt due to the low electric fence wire I ran. They are playing the devil with Momma's bird feeders. That gets Momma hoppin' mad and on occasion I am ordered by "she who must be obeyed" to thin them out....which serves the dual purpose of providing some good eatin' and it beats fightin' chiggers & ticks!!!!
  7. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    The fence keeps the rabbits out, but there are some trees with low branches I believe to be the culprit. The wife likes eating them so I figure what the heck. The garden seems the only place I can find them this time of year. :confused:
  8. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    I don't bother squawks until September. No way I'm out in this heat and humidity. I hate this time of year, fishing has slowed way way down, hunting is a no go, I can do a little shooting early in the morning but it heats up so fast that good shooting time is limited. For me personally June, July, August and September is the worst time of the year.
  9. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Figure I'll wait at least another week.

10. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Exactly why the wife and I are headed to Wyoming tomorrow. We plan our flyfishing trips out there in July/August to escape the miserable MO heat and humidity. Makes it hard to come back though. Will be back out there in Oct to hunt. Can't wait.
  11. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    The heat and humidity would deter me more so than the ticks. Multiple layers of clothes all sprayed down ahead of time with permethrin will handle the ticks.