Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Council Takes First Step for Urban Deer Hunt
The City Council considered its first step tonight to allow the Missouri Department of Conservation to manage a controlled deer hunt next year to reduce the urban-deer population in Springfield.

Council Bill 2009-288 would allow the use of broad-head arrows under limited circumstances for this type of hunt; such arrows are currently prohibited under City Code.

Assistant Health Director Clay Goddard said the arrow ban was implemented in 1997 after arrowheads were found in residential areas. Since the late ‘90s, the size of the urban-deer population has increased to as high as 200 deer per square mile in portions of southern Springfield. The MDC considers under 20 deer per square mile to be an acceptable population level.

Several neighborhood associations came to the City to request assistance on managing the deer population. The number of vehicle crashes involving deer has increased and the deer also destroy vegetation and landscaping in urban areas.

Goddard said applying for the MDC to hold a managed hunt will be a two-step process. The next step would be to specify properties where the hunt could take place. Currently, two properties are being considered, both in south Springfield and both owned by City Utilities.

Tim Russell, MDC wildlife conservation supervisor, explained how an urban hunt works. He said MDC officials would review the proposed urban hunt plan. Hunters would have to apply for random selection for a permit. Those selected have to attend a mandatory orientation; they are required to hunt from an elevated stand to manage the trajectory of the arrows. The hunters have to be tested for proficiency and be certified that they are qualified for the hunt.

Councilwoman Cindy Rushefsky said she had hoped to see the results of this fall’s controlled hunt on CU property in the Fellows Lake area north of the City limits, but the deadline for applying for the following year occurs before this year’s hunt. She said she wants to see a very controlled situation and said she would expect Council to address any issues that arise from this year’s hunt.

Roy Holand, a representative of the Ravenwood Homeowners Association, spoke on behalf of the controlled hunt. He said 70 percent of the homeowners who voted on a survey supported the concept and the board made the request to the Council.

The bill will be up for second reading and a vote on Nov. 23. The Council continued the public hearing at that meeting because the bill was added to the agenda tonight.

The Council also approved Council Bill 2009-267 establishing guidelines for urban gardens to encourage local food production. Calling it a “cause for celebrationâ€, Mayor Pro Tem Dan Chiles congratulated Melissa Millsap, the citizen who brought the issue forward, and the work of the Urban Garden Task Force.
I just might have to take up bowhunting if this thing passes. theres a tizoooooon of deer inside city limits and some HUGE BRUTES I see daily.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Reb, you know it will be doe only. They're not going to let you go in and kill the bucks. Rushefsky is a dingbat!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
how do we enter for that?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
:praying::praying:

I have been waiting on this forever!!!

I was headed south on Kansas Expressway on saturday night about 7:30 and was just north of Grand St. There to the west of Kansas is an overgrown jungle, and in the ditch 10' off the road was a 6 or 8 pt breeding a doe!! It was unreal.. Cars blowing by and each one of them lighting the deer up and he didn't care on bit!! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I about hit a dear each night on my way home from work around 12am

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
City council approved the bill last night. Supposed to take place around the Veterans Cemetary and a wooded area on the western banks of the James River, not sure where that area is located though. Its CU property so my guess would be very near the power plant.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Just got off the city website and the areas are to the east of the veterans cemetery and the other is in the NE portion of the 60-65 interchange and is on the west side of the James River with the river being the eastern boundary. It didn't give any info on sign-up requirements and from what I read this will all be up to the MDC to set the guidelines.

·
2,157 Posts
At Fellows Lake they did doe only......who wants to hunt in November without the chance at a buck?

They better allow people to take bucks....I guess I better get my 2M Bond and my Bowhunters Certification.. How do you do that?

Then if they do doe only I doubt I will participate...

Any yes Rushfesky is an idiot.. she actually asked if the arrows might hit cards 150 yards away...

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
[rquote=1484847&tid=103715&author=ltp]

Any yes Rushfesky is an idiot.. she actually asked if the arrows might hit cards 150 yards away...[/rquote]

Not sure if I could hit a card at 150 yards, depends on the size of the card. Just curious, why do you consider someone an idiot if they are trying to become more educated on the subject?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I heard the radio announce that they might consider having a hunt this year..? Did I hear correctly or was this guy uninformed?

I would be willing to shoot one or more does to earn a buck tag in the hunt but if it is doe only, don't think I'd be interested.. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts