Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally like to plant some winter wheat in September as a draw for the spring turkey season......but was working out of state last fall and didnt get it done.
Does anybody know if I could possibly plant some kind of oats in March and have something to draw them by late April? I have a clover plot and an Alfalfa plot but the turkeys havent seemed too impressed by those in the past.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,230 Posts
Oats is normally sown in late february or march,,,so it may do what you want.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,230 Posts
Originally posted by bowhntr
Henry,
Any particular type?
I have heard the term "spring oats" is there a difference?
Thanks
Most are a spring oat. There are a couple of varieties that are called winter oats,,but the majority are spring oat. If you go to the coop and buy a bin run oat,,it will most likely be a south dakota spring oat. If you want to spend a couple a bucks extra to get a good clean oat,,go to Orschelns and buy the cleaned whole oat . It will be higher than bin run,,but alittle cheaper than a cleaned seed oat. Cargill does a good job of cleaning there grains and the lack of trash will make drilling or broadcasting them alot easier.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info....very informative. Now for a thaw to do some discing...... which since my place is near the Iowa line that will be about July I am thinking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts