Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the areas I hunt did some burns recently and although I know its good for turkey habitat I am curious if you guys have seen birds utilize that area in the weeks and months after a burn? Or is the benefit not realized till the following year? Or am I over thinking this? Lol

·
Biology nit wit exposer
79,868 Posts
We see them use our crp burned areas every year. Even our timber burns will get feeding and strutting use. Obviously not enough regrowth year one for nesting use.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,517 Posts
Same as 20', I burned in late march a couple years back, and if anyting they were in that area even more than before not long after that.

·
293 Posts
I burned my timber sections in the evening a few sundays back... i went to check on one 4 acre patch to ensure it was burning itself out. It was still actively burning and I bumped the birds off the roost above the active burn. They will feed and search out any crispy bugs and acorns that were covered by the leaves. They love it but as stated before, clearly hens wont nest in it.

·
King of Callaway
42,472 Posts
from my limited experience with recently burned area just prior to turkey season, a resoundinmg yes the birds were in there REGULARLY.
X2

·
Deadeye
5,914 Posts
Burned ground will produce shrooms also, burnt ground warms quick.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys... I've been seeing them in the area all week now and planning on taking my 12 yo daughter on her first turkey hunt.. Hoping we found a hotspot especially with the rain on Saturday... May make the field even more appealing to them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts