Spraying Roundup in food plots

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by cisco, May 1, 2006.

1. cisco

cisco New Member

May 24, 2005
    Arnold, MO
    I have a couple food plots that I want to hit with Roundup and then replant in late summer. I was unable to spray this weekend because of the rain and it will be another month or so before I get back to the farm to spray. By then the weeds and grasses will be pretty tall. Should I brushhog first and then spray or should I just spray over it no matter how high everything is?

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Spray first. The plant will absorb more chemical that way. If you give it a good dose of roundup and kill it,,you can always burn it off before you try tilling.

:cheers::cheers:

3. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    What do you have in the plots now? If it is something worth saving then a good wiping system with roundup is a great way to kill off the taller vegetation without harming your existing plot. Otherwise, spray soon and mow, then spray again in later summer before you till up the plot. You will be way ahead of the weed and grass curve for your fall and winter plot.

4. buckbuster14

buckbuster14 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Moberly, Missouri
    What do u have in the plaots or do you have anything planted yet?

5. cisco

cisco New Member

May 24, 2005
    Arnold, MO
    I have a pretty good stand of ladino and red clover in these plots right now. However, the grasses and weeds are starting to take over. I like the idea of wiping or wicking system. Can I buy one of these or do most people make their own?