spraying question

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by marshallgrn, Jun 3, 2009.

1. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    am going to spray for weeds in the plots next weekend, i have a 15 gallon sprayer with a 10 foot boom, i was guessing one quart of roundup to the tank and getting maybe 3/4 of a acre out of it, will be on 4 wheeler i guess in 2nd gear, will it hurt the corn or beans to run over them? never sprayed before thats why all the rookie questions, thanks

2. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

nope sprayed mine this past weekend:cheers:

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

You will kill some but most will bounce back. In a few weeks you'll never know you drove thru it.

4. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1285226&tid=89891&author=jmbuckhunter]You will kill some but most will bounce back. In a few weeks you'll never know you drove thru it.[/rquote]

What he said.

I was planning on spending the day at the farm today working plots. 3/4" of rain yesterday shut that idea down.:whiteflag:

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Drive throughem like they arent there.

6. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    If you are using 41% glypho, I'd probably bump it up to maybe 1.25 quarts of chemical for that 3/4 acre....just to make sure you get a good kill.

What you will need to do is figure out how many gallons your sprayer is putting out per acre at whatever speed you select (as long as you can somehow repeat it).

Say you try a 1/4 acre test section that you know is close to 1/4 acre. Fill up your sprayer all the way, spray the test section with water driving the speed you would drive as you plan on spraying your plots. If you start with a full tank before the test, then fill it up after driving your test section, you will know the output over that 1/4 acre. Multiply by 4 for your gallon output per acre.

For example, you spray the 1/4 acre test section and you get approximately 4 gallons of water used. Your sprayer output will be 16 gallons/acre. So you mix the amount of chemical you want to apply per acre in that 16 gallons. If you are only doing 3/4 acre, then multiple 16 by 3/4 and the chemical amount by 3/4. If you want to target say 1.5 quarts/acre, then you would need to put 1.125 quarts (1.5*3/4) (or like I said, bump it up to 1.25) in 12 gallons (16*3/4) of water.

Make sense?

It doesn't have to be exact, but its always nice to know you are in the ballpark.

7. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    [rquote=1285271&tid=89891&author=HabitatMD]If you are using 41% glypho, I'd probably bump it up to maybe 1.25 quarts of chemical for that 3/4 acre....just to make sure you get a good kill.

What you will need to do is figure out how many gallons your sprayer is putting out per acre at whatever speed you select (as long as you can somehow repeat it).

Say you try a 1/4 acre test section that you know is close to 1/4 acre. Fill up your sprayer all the way, spray the test section with water driving the speed you would drive as you plan on spraying your plots. If you start with a full tank before the test, then fill it up after driving your test section, you will know the output over that 1/4 acre. Multiply by 4 for your gallon output per acre.

For example, you spray the 1/4 acre test section and you get approximately 4 gallons of water used. Your sprayer output will be 16 gallons/acre. So you mix the amount of chemical you want to apply per acre in that 16 gallons. If you are only doing 3/4 acre, then multiple 16 by 3/4 and the chemical amount by 3/4. If you want to target say 1.5 quarts/acre, then you would need to put 1.125 quarts (1.5*3/4) (or like I said, bump it up to 1.25) in 12 gallons (16*3/4) of water.

Make sense?

It doesn't have to be exact, but its always nice to know you are in the ballpark.[/rquote]

absolutely, thank you guys

8. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    And for Petes sake, write down what you decided on as far as speed and your sprayer output per acre. Seems like I have forgotton this step a time or two with some equipment I use here locally and have to rack my brain on what I did the last time or go through the "calibration" process again.

Many commercial guys check the output of each nozzle as well to make sure they are within 10% of each other. I'm not sure that is necessary for plotting, but it wouldn't hurt.

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    TeeJet has a handy chart online if you know your gallons per minute and speed. It'll also give you your GPM if you plug in your nozzle size and psi.

10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

If you can't comfortably run between the rows with the atv ,, run across them . You will mash fewer plants than you will running over the length of a row. If you kill a few the beans will canopy into the spaces.\

:cheers::cheers:

11. tometusns

tometusns New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    swmo.
    ...?... I think round up will kill everything in your plot....maybe 2-4-D would be something you might put down to only kill the weeds and a whole lot cheaper....I`ll try to get you the info to calibrate your sprayer at work tomorrow...if I acn just remember

12. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    seed is rr ready except the milo which i wont be spraying round up on probly the 2 4 d

13. Camp David

Camp David New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    A very good question Marshallgrn, I was thinking the same thing. Also all the answers sound great to me. :cheers:

14. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

we ( mobiggie & I) sprayed 1 Qrt +/- of Glyco in a 25 gallon sprayer last weekend. It was about an acre & in Very Tall Grass.... going to be interested in how it worked