Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· It Is What It Is
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have a 1.5 acre area that I cleared out located in a small valley on my property. I plan on spraying it this summer a couple times to kill everything before I get it worked up for a food plot this fall. I am looking at either a sprayer or rope wick applicator. Any thoughts on which may be the best option? Never worked with the wick applicator and not sure it will accomplish what I want, but seems to be the cheaper option. Anybody try both methods and what results did you get?

· Banned
81,617 Posts
A wick applicator is not gonna be very good at doing what you want. It is designed more for applying to in crop weeds that are taller than the crop and not for a total burn down. 02.

· Under appreciated
93,233 Posts
What henry said... unless you just HAVE to use a ropewick, I'd choose a broadcast sprayer every day.

· Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,732 Posts
I agree with rat and Henry.
A wick isn't for general kill. Any herbicide needs to contact the majority of the target plant, and a wick ain't gonna do it except for grassy weeds showing above a crop.
If you have it pretty low now, mow it once or twice, making it easier to use a boom.

I didn't buy the expensive boom sprayer. I bought the cheapo, and a cheapo wagon, and made the boom. Those little emitters are CHEAP!

· Registered
20,366 Posts
Wicks have their place .... but as others have stated for an initial investment and opening up/burning down a new plot I'd go with the broadcast sprayer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.