Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was issued a ticket this past week for driving on conservation roads with my headlights on. When the agent pulled me over he asked what I was doing and I told him that I just got out of the woods and was driving to the other parking lots to see if any of the other hunters shot a deer. He told me that when I turned around in the 3 parking lots that I was turning too slowly so he was gonna give me a ticket with some monetary value so I would know how serious they were about spotlighting. He said that it's not the serious spotlighting ticket but called it a friendly spotlighting ticket. This after a vehicle search, story check with the local farmer, and backround check. Evidently it has a not so friendly fee, I guess I'll find out over the next couple of weeks.

I leave my camper on the farmer's property next to the conservation land that I hunt. The farmer told me that some guys had been poaching in the area with rifles over the past couple of weeks and that there were going to be some game wardens in the area. I continued my 14 year ritual of checking the other parking lots after my hunt was finished not thinking anything was wrong with that. Boy was I wrong!

This maybe the only warning you get, but maybe you should turn your lights off while turning in the parking lots?????

·
Registered
434 Posts
I believe I would have to fight that one.They gonna start given tickets for slowing down on the highway when you see a deer and you have your lights on?I can see where they want to prevent spotlighting,but since your story checked out I think the guy would let you off with at worst a warning.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
When you turned around did you have your high beams on?

·
Registered
69,939 Posts
And here I just posted a thread praising our MDC Agents.....

Keep us posted as to how it turns out in court. I'd like to hear both sides of the story.

·
Registered
801 Posts
That sucks! I don't know how I would have reacted if that happened to me. What about the dude parked there letting his truck warm up with the head lights on? Sounds like there's alot of grey area on this one.

·
17,674 Posts
Sounds to me like he was a newbie, barney fife type. Sometimes they are all gung ho to make sure they do their part in catchin somebody. It shouldn't hold up if the story happened as described.

·
Registered
176 Posts
[rquote=1480980&tid=103561&author=macon county boy]ya thats like gettn a ticket for fishing for casting a lure on a ice covered lake and thats a true story[/rquote]

I would think one would deserve a ticket for that..just sayin.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1480972&tid=103561&author=Mailman]And here I just posted a thread praising our MDC Agents.....

Keep us posted as to how it turns out in court. I'd like to hear both sides of the story.[/rquote]

Your post is right on! We have a great conservation department, I just crossed paths with an agent that was working long hours, frustrated with the real offenders, soaking wet, didn't like my pretty face, etc. etc. etc. There was actually 3 agents there and it appeared the old guy had something to prove.

I think I'll just pay the $100 something dollar ticket to the county courthouse and be done with it. The courthouse is a 3 hour drive from my house and court fees are over $50

·
Registered
961 Posts
Robin hood if you are not guilty then you need to fight it! i think in a lot of cases they give tickets knowing people wont fight it! im very happy with the way they protect what we love to hunt! but when your not in the wrong dont plead guilty by just paying the ticket.

·
Registered
69,939 Posts
[rquote=1481019&tid=103561&author=Trapper]Robin hood if you are not guilty then you need to fight it! When your not in the wrong don't plead guilty by just paying the ticket.[/rquote]

Exactly.....If you are indeed innocent Never Never admit guilt no matter what the crime.

Years ago when I first came back from Viet Nam I was ticketed for littering at Bennett Springs Trout Park. I had left a can of pop sitting on a rock where I had been waiting for my buddy to catch his last fish before we left for home. Our hands were full of rods, tackle and stringers of fish. I didn't have enough hands for my pop can and my jacket. We went to the car and an agent walked up behind me and asked if we were leaving. We said yes and he proceeded to write me out a ticket for littering. After handing it to me I walked back down to get my jacket and picked up the can of pop. I pleaded not guilty in court and had the pop can in hand. Charges were dropped. It cost me a days pay and gas money to appear but I won.

Stand up for your rights!!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Drop bu the prosecuting attorneys office in the county and ask if they intend to prosecute the case. They may not if there is no evidence you were spotlighting.

If , on the other hand your firearm was visible ya might as well pay the fine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I wouldn't fight it either, never had a job that asked if I had any wildlife violations. Suppose there are some. IMO the courts are so screwed up, and in a situation like this; you word or the CA's. Your already guilty, b/c you got the ticket. I just don't believe you'll get a fair shake.

·
Registered
69,939 Posts
[rquote=1481084&tid=103561&author=ymurf]If you just pay it your admitting guilt.[/rquote]

Robin Hood has to make up his own mind as to what to do. If he decided to just pay the fine he has decided to admit guilt and to take the chance of it coming back at a later date to hurt him. If he is innocent and pleads not guilty in court it might lead to a conviction anyway but that is his and his only decision but it may turn out that the charges would be dismissed. If indeed he is innocent I would fight it to the end no matter the cost.....but that is just me.
Good Luck Robin Hood with your decision which ever way you decide.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.