Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Surely our military rifle fellas will have some advice for ya. I always had the bolt handle replaced on my old mausers when I had them scope mounted. But we had an excellent gun smith here in town back then and he would cut the old bolt handle off and weld a neat custom bolt handle on for me when he was drilling and taping it.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
8,772 Posts

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I'd shoot it the way it is. What you're looking to do is going to end up costing another $150 dollars before the price of the scope.
If you don't want to damage the rifle (but who are we kidding, this isn't a K98 with german markings unpeened) and can stand the look, you can get an S&K insta-mount that attaches to the rear sight. You'll have to use a pistol scope though.

A Mojo peep sight is another option but it's both gimmicky (peep is so far forward on the gun) and it's pretty expensive.

Overall, if you want a scoped rifle the Stevens, Marlin, Howa, Mossy, etc is always going to be the best value and return for your money.
If you spent 100 for the gun plus 150 put into into and decide to sell the gun, you'll get about 100 dollars.

I'd keep the Mosin as is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since this is a 91/30, it has a 3/8 dovetail under the rear sight base. You can just remove the sight base and use .22 rings and a scout scope. I thought about sporterizing a cheap Romanian M44, after figuring the cost of everything I decided I'd be better off buying a cheap gun from walmart.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
[rquote=1531233&tid=106707&author=Razorbuck]Since this is a 91/30, it has a 3/8 dovetail under the rear sight base. You can just remove the sight base and use .22 rings and a scout scope. I thought about sporterizing a cheap Romanian M44, after figuring the cost of everything I decided I'd be better off buying a cheap gun from walmart.[/rquote]

Interesting, I did not know it was a standard 3/8 dovetail.
I think I'd spend the money to get a good quality mount like BKL.
http://www.bkltech.com/1x4x0_6_High_Rings_p/bkl-254h.htm
or
http://www.bkltech.com/BKL_4_in_Dovetail_to_Weaver_Offset_Adaptor_p/bkl-554.htm

Here's the problem though (and correct me if I'm wrong), the dovetail sits so low because of the stock so you would almost have to put a dovetailed riser on first unless you went with a high or see-through :confused:
http://www.bkltech.com/1_5_8_Long_3_8_or_11mm_Dovetail_Riser_p/bkl-172.htm

It might be easier (and almost the same money in the long run) to just buy a mount already marketed for the Mosin unless we know there is enough clearance.

Out of curouisity, do you know if the Mauser 24/47 or M48 have a 3/8 dovetail???

·
Registered
30 Posts
No you don't have to drill and tap. You have to knock out a couple of pins and maybe heat it with a torch to get the solder off. Once you do that you will be able to attach the scout scope using high .22 rings.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.