Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
70,872 Posts
did a search....

Limits
Daily limit: 2
Possession limit: 4
Size limit: 24-inch minimum in most areas; 34-inch minimum on Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock Lake, Truman Lake, and their tributaries

Sorry if I struck a nerve. :(

Still a good haul there Seth! :cool!:

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Most areas of what? I’m saying that LOZ, Truman, Tablerock, and their tributaries, like the Osage river, represent most of the fishale areas in the State, don’t they? Where else is there a population worth fishing? St Francis River? Headwater Diversion channel?

· Banned
7,215 Posts
osage river 24" below the dam
Missouri river 24"
Since the carp invasion, paddlefishing in the big rivers is almost nonexistent. Osage River from western Mo state line is 34" until where, Bagnell Dam? Doesn't that represent most of the good fishing? As I'm interpreting it, most of the good fishing is in 34" waters. I'm only asking cause I'd like to see if the 23.5" fish taste any better than the 40" nasty trash fish.

· Registered
7,456 Posts
There are pockets of fish below Bagnell. You used to be able to snag within 75 yds of the dam. A lot of fish were caught there . Saws boats 2 rows deep . Needed a hard hat at times . The Mdc stopped that . Now you have to be below the 54 bridge. 24” starts there.
Taste the same to me . Key to spoonbill is to rinse daily. Have done it for up to 5 days . Gasconade spoonbill are a little cleaner.

· Registered
13,461 Posts
Since the carp invasion, paddlefishing in the big rivers is almost nonexistent. Osage River from western Mo state line is 34" until where, Bagnell Dam? Doesn't that represent most of the good fishing? As I'm interpreting it, most of the good fishing is in 34" waters. I'm only asking cause I'd like to see if the 23.5" fish taste any better than the 40" nasty trash fish.
The lower Osage and bigger LoZ fish taste similar, but Tablerock fish taste weird to me. I'm not so sure that it isn't related to how the fish are cleaned and cared for though. When we go to Tablerock, we usually rip the side off the fish and throw in a big cooler on ice till we home and can clean them up. The fish I get at LoZ and on the lower Osage get cleaned thoroughly and then thrown in some salt water the same day they were caught.

The best thing about the smaller fish is that they are much less of a PITA to clean.

· Registered
13,461 Posts
James river in Springfield has some of the biggest spoonbills. That's were we snag at. We catch a lot between 70 and 120 pounds.
Mark
We've caught thousands of spoonbill down there in our group and we've yet to break the 100# mark. In fact, I think only one fish over 90# has ever been boated along with quite a few in the 80's. It's definitely easier to catch a fish over 70# down there than it is on LoZ. It's rare to make a trip down there where we don't break that mark at least once.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.