Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bout time to start looking..something I've always wanted to do once in my life.Been looking on line at different outfits and price.
Anyone here ever used a guide that can give a personal account...kinda pricey for me...but worth it if I don't have to buy all the gear and only have a day or two

Anyone:confused:

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
[rquote=1530981&tid=106710&author=Cook]Bout time to start looking..something I've always wanted to do once in my life.Been looking on line at different outfits and price.
Anyone here ever used a guide that can give a personal account...kinda pricey for me...but worth it if I don't have to buy all the gear and only have a day or two

Anyone:confused:[/rquote]

Cook wait awhile and see MM Ill bet he can fix you up.

·
Registered
13,014 Posts
If you plan on snagging Tablerock, give me a holler and I'll let you know exactly what to do. Heck might even have room for you in the boat sometime.

We snag at night mostly and cast with surf tackle and 4oz of lead. The last night I snagged last year we boated 18 fish between three of us. We just throw them back after we catch them unless somebody we know wants one. The fish from Tablerock taste like crap compared to the ones out of the Osage River system. It's just easy to catch them on Tablerock for us so we go there for fun.

Here's the two I kept last year opening night. One was a 70 and one was an 80.

I did try LoZ last year for the first time during the Snagmasters tourney. We caught six fish between the two of us but nothing over 50 pounds. So many boats it was hard to cast for them though.

[file]87329[/file] [file]87330[/file]

·
Registered
70,341 Posts
[rquote=1530986&tid=106710&author=hillbilly]Also I personally know MailMan is the sponnbill king, I beleive he holds the Mo. state record to:D:cheers:[/rquote]

I'd say you better get the waders out before you read this thread.

Here is the beginning post that got all this "Spoonbill King" nonsense started.
http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=56128

And here is where I was "Dethrowned".....
http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=56181#pid765779

I'll add to this post if you need a guide for the area around Hiawatha Beach Lake of the Ozarks contact our Snowman. He may be already booked for the season. I know Parker has a standing invite since he didn't get to go last year. All of my Spoonbill'n was done in Snowmans boat by the way. I got my own for this year so we may team up on those fishies this year.

·
Registered
70,341 Posts
[rquote=1533548&tid=106710&author=Cook]Man...I fell for that till about the 4th page...(V-8 forehead slap!)that was a good-un:cheers:[/rquote]

So you know to not go ringing the Mailmans door bell to go Snagg'n.

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
[rquote=1533374&tid=106710&author=seth_turner_04]If you plan on snagging Tablerock, give me a holler and I'll let you know exactly what to do. Heck might even have room for you in the boat sometime.

We snag at night mostly and cast with surf tackle and 4oz of lead. The last night I snagged last year we boated 18 fish between three of us. We just throw them back after we catch them unless somebody we know wants one. The fish from Tablerock taste like crap compared to the ones out of the Osage River system. It's just easy to catch them on Tablerock for us so we go there for fun.

Here's the two I kept last year opening night. One was a 70 and one was an 80.

I did try LoZ last year for the first time during the Snagmasters tourney. We caught six fish between the two of us but nothing over 50 pounds. So many boats it was hard to cast for them though.

[/rquote]

What Line do you use and how many Hooks?

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes using Long Rods.

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
[rquote=1534539&tid=106710&author=seth_turner_04]12' surf rods, big spinning reels spooled with 65# or 80# power pro, a 4oz bank sinker, and two 10/0 treble hooks at 2' and 6' from the weight.[/rquote]

Ok I have Regular Snagging Rods with Penn Reels and have a 12' Surf Rod with Big Spinning Reel.The company said I would have to get a different Spool for my Surf Reel,no biggy only cost $6.They said I needed Metal Spool because the Plastic Spool wouldn't hold up.

Being as I no longer have a Boat I'm doing it from the Bank.Do people use their regular Snagging Rods or do they need Surf Rods?

Not trying to Hijack this trend just want to know sorry.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin agrees he is pretty sorry at times.

·
Registered
70,341 Posts
Just from what meager snagging I have done I think the regular short snaggin rods were made for boat usage and the surf'n rods were for shore use with them being much longer so to have a long sweeping motion with your hook set up. If I had a choice which to use from the bank I'd sure pick the surf'n rod just because in one swing with the pole you can drag in 10 or 15 feet of line as to the 6 or 7 foot of line of the snaggin poles length. Either could be used from a boat.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
We snag from the shore below the locks on the mississippi here in st.louis. We use 12' surf rods and big spinning reels with 2oz-6oz weights. We use power pro line too. Mono line is a huge mistake and will leave you fishless in the big river snaggin.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I like a 6'-7'(ozark snagger special) rod, penn 309 reel, and I spool it with 150lbs power pro. I have 3 (sometimes 4) 8/0 mustad treble hooks, with the first one about 8"-12" off of the sinker, then I use the length of pole to space the rest. And a 20oz sinker on the bottom. But I am thinking I am going to try them dipsy divers:thinking:.

·
Registered
13,014 Posts
We started catching more fish when we went to surf rods and casting while in the boat. It's more work, but it just about always pays off for us.

I want to give those dipsy divers a try with the typical broomstick setup. My girlfriend likes to snag, but she can't hardly handle them big surf rods so she doesn't snag very much. That dipsy diver rig would be perfect for somebody like her.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.