Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9,696 Posts
I'd bet a significant sum it was originally 30-06. A LOT MORE were made in -06 than 303 Brit. The 303's were mostly sent to Great Britain though I suspect over time a lot were repatriated though they are rarely seen. I believe Sgt. Alvin York actually used an Enfield rather than the Springfield in his incredible deeds during WWI. Remington used the Enfield as the basis for their Model 30 and 30A, many of which were left in their original 30-06 caliber.

· Captain Obvious
508 Posts
The P14 Enfield is in 303 British and the M1917 is in 30-06. If you ever have to get parts for it, make sure to order the 1917 parts as some of them aren't compatible. It looks like the smith shaved the magazine box down so the bottom metal sat flush with the new stock. It looks like it was rebarreled also.

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Looks nice. My first Deer Rifle was a.303 British Full Stock one heavy Rifle but a good shooter.

oneshot

:D Long as it feeds the Big Grin she don’t care

Reactions: badlander

· Banned
81,617 Posts
The P14 Enfield is in 303 British and the M1917 is in 30-06. If you ever have to get parts for it, make sure to order the 1917 parts as some of them aren't compatible. It looks like the smith shaved the magazine box down so the bottom metal sat flush with the new stock. It looks like it was rebarreled also.
Isn't there a difference in build of the action ? I seem to remember the 303s being funky to scope mount .

· Captain Obvious
508 Posts
Isn't there a difference in build of the action ? I seem to remember the 303s being funky to scope mount .
You may be thinking of the Lee Enfield SMLE 303's.
There were a set of protective ears around the rear sight on both the P14 and M1917 models, and the whole rear sight assembly has been removed and machined away on the rear of this rifles action.

· Registered
13,838 Posts
They have been used by A-Square for BIG elephant type rifles, they are bull-strong actions. They were made here in the US, by Remington, Eddystone (a Remington plant) and Winchester, in both 1914 and 1917 versions, but the Brits and the US, respectively.

Remington liked the action enough to use it for the M30, M30S, and M720 rifles they sold before coming out with the 721s and 722 actions, which they've modified into the current 700s.

· Perry
401 Posts
I had one that looked very much like yours except that it had a Lyman peep sight instead of the scope. It had the mag hump taken out, the ears taken off of the rear sight. It was a Winchester in 30-06 and was very accurate. I gave it to my son, he uses it for deer. It is a very good rifle, I suspect that there were a lot of them converted and sold at one time.

· Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a nice rifle. Do you know if that stock is a Fajen? I've got two sporterized Eddystones myself. One is in 25-.284. The other .300H&H.
I believe it is, at the least the butt plate is Fajen. It was glass bedded when it was sporterized as well. I think the stock was finished with varnish, or similar; as it's rough in spots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.