Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,315 Posts
Welp after deley after delay we are finally getting our Hyper Unit installed today..anxious

Wish we'd have spent the extra coin on the hyper unit. Anything below 7 degrees, ours shuts down. At least we have backup heat with wood stove when it gets that cold.

·
just a no body
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
our situation exactly, power goes out or just one of those days when wood is best we'll fill up the stove but on those 30- 50 degree days and 30-40 degree nights when wood is a bit over kill this will be perfect or if we go out of town in the winter we wont have to fret so much about pipes freezing. We always believe in going one step further than needed. As we get older and cutting wood gets harder and harder it wil be nice not o have to depend on the wood when that time comes.

I have to give a shout out To @ryanlowe02 for pointing us towards a Mitsubishi. They had just what the Dr ordered.

All that being said this house is a nightmare and throwing curve ball after curve ball at these poor guys. Being we are getting the ceiling cassettes installed we may not have a ceiling when it's all is said n done:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,199 Posts
our situation exactly, power goes out or just one of those days when wood is best we'll fill up the stove but on those 30- 50 degree days and 30-40 degree nights when wood is a bit over kill this will be perfect or if we go out of town in the winter we wont have to fret so much about pipes freezing. We always believe in going one step further than needed. As we get older and cutting wood gets harder and harder it wil be nice not o have to depend on the wood when that time comes.

I have to give a shout out To @ryanlowe02 for pointing us towards a Mitsubishi. They had just what the Dr ordered.

All that being said this house is a nightmare and throwing curve ball after curve ball at these poor guys. Being we are getting the ceiling cassettes installed we may not have a ceiling when it's all is said n done:rolleyes:
Did they go with the 1-way throw or the 4-way? Glad to help, it is good stuff.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
What exactly is a split unit?Down south we don’t have any of that stuff.Just central air and heat all in one package and some people do propane heaters like a gas fire place and some small wall mounts throughout their house to keep it warm when it’s cold out.

·
Registered
14,199 Posts
What exactly is a split unit?Down south we don’t have any of that stuff.Just central air and heat all in one package and some people do propane heaters like a gas fire place and some small wall mounts throughout their house to keep it warm when it’s cold out.
technically your standard home HVAC is still a split unit meaning you have an outdoor condenser or heat pump paired with an indoor evaporator/ furnace or air handler.
Traditional systems require ductwork.

Mini splits are still a split, but don't require ductwork. Work great for renovations, older homes without ductwork, or troubled spots in homes to get heating/cooling. You have an outdoor unit connected to an indoor wall hung or ceiling hung unit. Depending on flavor of equipment you get the units may cost more, but are usually less labor to install and run more efficient. Also if you have multiple head units in different rooms with mini splits you get on demand heating or cooling instead of just the furnace banging on and off for the whole house.

·
Registered
32,610 Posts
technically your standard home HVAC is still a split unit meaning you have an outdoor condenser or heat pump paired with an indoor evaporator/ furnace or air handler.

Mini splits are still a split, but don't require ductwork. Work great for renovations, older homes without ductwork, or troubled spots in homes to get heating/cooling. You have an outdoor unit connected to an indoor wall hung or ceiling hung unit. Depending on flavor of equipment you get the units may cost more, but are usually less labor to install and run more efficient. Also if you have multiple head units in different rooms with mini splits you get on demand heating or cooling instead of just the furnace banging on and off for the whole house.
Similar to individual units in motel rooms.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Missouri Hunting mobile app

·
www.fowlfocustaxidermy.com
3,193 Posts

@ryanlowe02 Can the unit inside be installed closer to the floor instead of the ceiling? I always see them installed up high. I have a sunroom that is wall to wall windows with no place to mount it up high.

·
Registered
14,199 Posts
@ryanlowe02 Can the unit inside be installed closer to the floor instead of the ceiling? I always see them installed up high. I have a sunroom that is wall to wall windows with no place to mount it up high.
Yes, there are multiple styles available. They make a floor console unit that sits on the floor and blows air out and up.

Most common is the high wall units, they should never be mounted lower on the wall. The room would never hold temp the right way. They also make ceiling mount units and duct mounted if you had old ductwork and wanted to use it.

Main thing with sun rooms is the quality of the windows and does it fast west in the afternoons. Getting a good load calculation is always tricky on those. We sold one once and the room was facing west, no shade trees and had the crappiest windows, they weren't even glass, almost like vinyl wrap. Anyway on the hottest July day at 4pm the unit couldn't keep up.

·
just a no body
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
@Richard Rawlings our goes in the ceiling itself with little space needed..we did the easy fit ceiling cassette

·
just a no body
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
well first night review. I will say my wife is very pro wood stove and I thought would be difficult to come around to accepting it but to my surprise she took to it right away. It certainly keeps the house at a steady temp, it is nice not to have to restoke the stove about 0300 and or wake up to a chili house. They are not intrusive but altho "whisper quiet" with our low ceilings when the fan is on high there is not no hearing it. We were told just leaving the fan on Low was problematic so we have it on Auto which regulates the fan speed according to need..wondering if leaving the fan on medium which would be a happy median would be fine. @ryanlowe02 you have an opinion? Our Dealer seemed to encourage us to leave the fan on high which certainly maximizes nice air flow but like I said with the low ceilings one unit is only 4 1/2 ft from my head.

I guess next to see how much of an impact it has on our electric bill. Oh yea another thing. Our Electric Co-op is giving us a $1200 rebate which is nice.

·
Registered
14,199 Posts
well first night review. I will say my wife is very pro wood stove and I thought would be difficult to come around to accepting it but to my surprise she took to it right away. It certainly keeps the house at a steady temp, it is nice not to have to restoke the stove about 0300 and or wake up to a chili house. They are not intrusive but altho "whisper quiet" with our low ceilings when the fan is on high there is not no hearing it. We were told just leaving the fan on Low was problematic so we have it on Auto which regulates the fan speed according to need..wondering if leaving the fan on medium which would be a happy median would be fine. @ryanlowe02 you have an opinion? Our Dealer seemed to encourage us to leave the fan on high which certainly maximizes nice air flow but like I said with the low ceilings one unit is only 4 1/2 ft from my head.

I guess next to see how much of an impact it has on our electric bill. Oh yea another thing. Our Electric Co-op is giving us a $1200 rebate which is nice.
fan set on auto 100% of the time.

The compressor is variable speed, the fan speed adjusts with the compressor load.

·
www.fowlfocustaxidermy.com
3,193 Posts
Yes, there are multiple styles available. They make a floor console unit that sits on the floor and blows air out and up.

Most common is the high wall units, they should never be mounted lower on the wall. The room would never hold temp the right way. They also make ceiling mount units and duct mounted if you had old ductwork and wanted to use it.

Main thing with sun rooms is the quality of the windows and does it fast west in the afternoons. Getting a good load calculation is always tricky on those. We sold one once and the room was facing west, no shade trees and had the crappiest windows, they weren't even glass, almost like vinyl wrap. Anyway on the hottest July day at 4pm the unit couldn't keep up.
The windows are pretty good and have room darkening drapes on the windows that face west. Plenty of shade on top of that. I have a roll around unit that will keep the room tolerable on the hottest of days but it’s to damn loud to even enjoy sitting out there.
Would you have a floor mounted unit you could recommend?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts