Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
just a no body
15,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for input on Split Units. We are going to try and get away from strictly wood for our heat and get rid of our 220 wall AC. House is about 1200 sqft .

From the reviews they seem finicky that needs serviced with very expensive parts

so what do you know? Lay it on me.

·
2 Corinthians 5:10
1,706 Posts
Following, I've been looking at the pioneer splits for awhile, 18k btu for 750sf that's very well insulated. Currently running a 10k window ac and 15k vented propane furnace.
Does the job, but everything is loud..
Weekend cabin use.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Only thing i know for sure on split unit is that when it gets extremely cold they cannot keep up as my understanding because there is not enough heat in air to extract and use for warm heating we have one in our garage and when it got 0 last year and we had it set on 65 in the garage it could not do it!! Garage dropped to low 50s. Don't know the science behind it!, just what it did! That was a little less than 1000 square foot garage.

·
just a no body
15,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great point.. we would keep the wood as supplemental but would hope to only need to burn on those coldest of days but if the days were in the 40's or so we'd just run it. My old bones just dont feel the urge to cut up another 5 cord of wood in the future. How bout AC @liv2hunt ?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
great point.. we would keep the wood as supplemental but would hope to only need to burn on those coldest of days but if the days were in the 40's or so we'd just run it. My old bones just dont feel the urge to cut up another 5 cord of wood in the future. How bout AC @liv2hunt ?
AC we seem to keep up just fine, the only maintenance i have done is clean the prefilters, again this is only in our garage as we have ground source for the regular part of the house!! We turn the mini-split off and on in the garage when we want to use the garage specifically and it can cool it down within about 30 minutes in summer after turning it on.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
We have a daiken a/c only quiet efficient. Knock on would no trouble . Drain line will build bacteria and plug . Put some tablets in and that’s not an issue anymore.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have a DIY Mr. Cool 23k BTU in my 30x40 shouse with 12' ceiling. The shouse is 2/3 open, with 2 bedrooms and one bath. The AC does good, but does lose a degree or two in the upper 90s. The heat is good down to the mid 20s. Below that, it just runs and doesn't do much. So be prepared to run wood below mid 20s.

·
Registered
14,201 Posts
Only thing i know for sure on split unit is that when it gets extremely cold they cannot keep up as my understanding because there is not enough heat in air to extract and use for warm heating we have one in our garage and when it got 0 last year and we had it set on 65 in the garage it could not do it!! Garage dropped to low 50s. Don't know the science behind it!, just what it did! That was a little less than 1000 square foot garage.
Most standard heat pumps this is accurate. we have some that offer 100% heating at 5 degrees and up to 65% at -13

·
Registered
14,201 Posts
I sell mini splits daily, millions are used worldwide. The mini split/ VRF growth in the US is amazing. Everything man made breaks eventually, all comes down to proper install and maintenance. We sell Mitsubishi and they have hyper heat units that will do 100% heat at 5 degrees, 82% heating capacity at -4 then 65% at -13

There are several hundred installs we have been apart of where hyper heat is used and no need for secondary heat.

If you have backup heat, then a regular heat pump works but requires that extra source of heat on super cold days

·
just a no body
15,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sell mini splits daily, millions are used worldwide. The mini split/ VRF growth in the US is amazing. Everything man made breaks eventually, all comes down to proper install and maintenance. We sell Mitsubishi and they have hyper heat units that will do 100% heat at 5 degrees, 82% heating capacity at -4 then 65% at -13

There are several hundred installs we have been apart of where hyper heat is used and no need for secondary heat.

If you have backup heat, then a regular heat pump works but requires that extra source of heat on super cold days
@ryanlowe02
I have noticed soo many times that during a TV interview or similar there in the background is Split Unit. The Brand we were looking was Carrier and their reviews over multiple places averaged about 3.8 stars but the major complaint was amount of breakdowns and cost of replacement parts..kinda spooked us.
I know your biased but should we look into the Mitsubishi brand over carrier? Carrier guys are local and have been around for many years

How are they on power usage?

·
2 Corinthians 5:10
1,706 Posts
Bean, while researching i found it hard to properly size a unit, lot of variables there, also, how many rooms you want a wall unit in, there are some diy that are easier than others, reliability and cost as you mentioned, i felt like in my research, pioneer offered a good balance in that respect. Buddy has a pioneer and whisper quiet but only a couple years old so have to see how it holds up

Reactions: beanpile

·
just a no body
15,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bean, while researching i found it hard to properly size a unit, lot of variables there, also, how many rooms you want a wall unit in, there are some diy that are easier than others, reliability and cost as you mentioned, i felt like in my research, pioneer offered a good balance in that respect. Buddy has a pioneer and whisper quiet but only a couple years old so have to see how it holds up
Certainly am no DYI guy thats a recipe for a major fustercluck. We have a simple 2 bedroom house 1 bathroom 1200 sqft. Its a pretty open floor plan all in all. We have tiny ac window units in each bedroom. During the summer we keep the bathroom door closed as it is sizable with 2 big widows and open it at night. We do also have a small propane morning stove if needed. . No worries about kids, no worries about anybody but just us two.

·
Registered
14,201 Posts
@ryanlowe02
I have noticed soo many times that during a TV interview or similar there in the background is Split Unit. The Brand we were looking was Carrier and their reviews over multiple places averaged about 3.8 stars but the major complaint was amount of breakdowns and cost of replacement parts..kinda spooked us.
I know your biased but should we look into the Mitsubishi brand over carrier? Carrier guys are local and have been around for many years

How are they on power usage?
I am biased but we use them because of the higher quality. They are the most expensive and best we have seen. We also have factory certified tech support that works with contractors. Good product.

Carrier makes good stuff overall but they got into the mini split game because the market was growing rapidly. They don't make their own mini splits. Mitsubishi was the leader in that game and makes their own stuff, all the big brands jumped in. Trane recently partnered with Mitsubishi.

Really comes down to your service company doing the install. If they like Carrier, then roll with it as they would do the servicing.

·
Registered
14,201 Posts
good rule of thumb that we use.

1 ton of cooling per 400 sq ft of space. very general guideline to get close.

Mini splits are super quiet and very efficient. It will blow your mind how much energy they save.

·
just a no body
15,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am biased but we use them because of the higher quality. They are the most expensive and best we have seen. We also have factory certified tech support that works with contractors. Good product.

Carrier makes good stuff overall but they got into the mini split game because the market was growing rapidly. They don't make their own mini splits. Mitsubishi was the leader in that game and makes their own stuff, all the big brands jumped in. Trane recently partnered with Mitsubishi.

Really comes down to your service company doing the install. If they like Carrier, then roll with it as they would do the servicing.
talking to the guy they are self inclusive. His older brother and crew do the installs. One thing that scared the wife was when he said "we are no carpenters" and was pretty much told we needed to remove the wall unit and patch the hole before they come and install it ( they'd be in the same place). I guess thats not out of line but spooked the wife a bit.

·
Registered
14,201 Posts
talking to the guy they are self inclusive. His older brother and crew do the installs. One thing that scared the wife was when he said "we are no carpenters" and was pretty much told we needed to remove the wall unit and patch the hole before they come and install it ( they'd be in the same place). I guess thats not out of line but spooked the wife a bit.
just need a hole for the lineset, drain hose and wire to connect to the outdoor unit. Pretty easy install for guys who are handy or have done them before.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts