Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the last 2 days working at the farm preparing a site for a new plot in my crp, making a firebreak around my crp, mowing trails, mowing down my buckwheat so I can get that plot ready for fall, basil bark treating black locust trees, spraying crp for sericia lespadeza, setting feeders for the trail cam census. Been a busy 2 days.

I got a buddy whose been promising to come down & help so he could bowhunt with me this fall. Well he finally made an apperance. I explained to him this spring if he didn't put in the time before season, he wasn't putting in the time during season. I showed him the pics of the bucks I got a couple of weeks ago, kinda got him fired up. He spent about 6 hrs Saturday behind the walkbehind mower freshening up all the trails. Between 2-3 miles total. I rode the tractor. It was good for him to sweat.

Planted 1/2 acre of soybeans about 2 weeks ago. Pretty pleased with how they're coming. They're coming in spotty, but should still do ok for forage. Need some rain, but we're getting that this morning.

Corn is starting to fill nicely. Kernals are small so far, but there's still time for them to fill. Luckily, I don't see any signs of ***** or deer doing damage yet.

Sorghum is starting to head pretty good. I planted this stuff way to thick. Not expecting it to do much. It was so thick that we mowed 2 paths through it for the wildlife to travel. Or should I say, Tony mowed 2 paths through it. He said it was a pain in the :soapbox:

New foodplot. This should be a good one. It's in my crp. It'll be the only food source in the vicinity. There 160 acres of crp straight N & 200+ acres crp N & E. For the past 2 years, there's been a deer trail into the corner of my property that looks like cattle have been running it. I put this plot right in that corner. It should get hammered. Got a tree already picked out overlooking the plot. I'll probably plant it with cereal grains & winter peas.

I was really pleased with the new tractor & impliments on this dude. I mowed this in late June. Thursday, I chisel plowed it N-S then E-W. Saturday, I disced it the same way. Really pleased with how well it worked up from sod.

We've got a lot of thorny locust around the edges of our fields & crp. Woodust turned me onto a basil bark treatment using remedy & diesel fuel. Stuff is expensive, but it's doing a great job. I sprayed the trees around the crp about 3 weeks ago. You can see the one in the background turning yellow. It's about 6" at the base. The tree behind it is 20"+. It's starting to yellow in the very top

Spent a big part of the morning yesterday spraying my crp for sericia lespadeza. Done a little discing after that on another small plot. Bout got in trouble with the heat. Didn't realize it till it was almost too late. Needless to say, a cold shower & a few hours in the air was in order.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Pinwheel, I dont know about remedy but there is also a chemical called crossbow, that mixed with diesel works good on basal application. Tordon rtu also works good after you cut the tree down treating the outside edge or girdle the tree a couple of times and squirting it in.
Looks like heat doesnt bother you too much, youre like an eveready bunny..just keeps going and going.

Looking good!!

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Nice pics and your hard work will pay off pinwheel. What exactly IS basil bark treatment? Never heard anything called that.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard of crossbow. Don't know anymore than that about it. The rememdy is $100 a gallon, how high is the crossbow? Remedy mixes 1 part to 3 parts diesel. I've heard of using torodon on stumps. I just don't want to have to deal with all the thorns on these trees, so I'll cut them down in a couple years for firewood after the needles fall off.

Looks like heat doesnt bother you too much, youre like an eveready bunny..just keeps going and going.
Terry, there's just too much to do & not enough time. Work is crazy busy, & bowseason is just around the corner. I hate doing things halfway. All or nothing for me.

What exactly IS basil bark treatment? Never heard anything called that.
What woodust told me to do was spray the bottom 15" of the tree with a handheld sprayer. 30" on larger trees. basil bark.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Looking awesome Pinwheel........now that it looks like you have most of hte work done I will have to come see the place :D

Wooddust won't like you talking about crossbow :bangin: But seriously, remedy is your better bet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Pinwheel - You da man!!! :cheers: Lookin good.

You're not far from me, I'll have to let you know sometime when I'm up at my property...maybe I could stop by and see ya/property. Something for me to do after the chores are done. Besides, I like driving in the countryside. If you need help putting up stands, I can do that too. As long as it's not 100 degrees out....then I get whimpy. :D

I don't need a hunting spot, have my own....just to say hello, and hang out. I sometimes go up to Mecheng's place, which is about 35 minutes west of Macon. I'd like to see your setup...always learning new things, or angles.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Looking awesome Pinwheel!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
TOBryan,

This year I tried something new on the Honey Locust. I drilled 3 - 3/8 holes about 3" deep downward in the tree trunk, filled them with straight Tordon. After one month the trees are dead. Looking to do that to several hunderd I have left. It's fast with a cordless drill and extra battery pack plus it uses less chemical. Oh, I like that green mean machine of yours!

Smokinbarrel. Come on up and visit! :wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.