Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who use cover scents and wash their hunting clothes with scent free/reducing soap, how many buy the special brands such as hunters specialties or dead down wind? How many just use scent free plane jane laundry soap?

Someone staed they used hammer baking soda in a bottle for cover scent (parker maybe).

Just looking for some cheaper alternatives than spending 10 bucks on a bottle of laundry soap to do 1/2 dozen loads.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I just use a scent/dye free laundry detergent. This time the cheapest was All "free". Then I fill an empty sock with baking soda and run it along with the close into the dryer. After the dryer they go into one of those XXL ziplock bags with a scented wafer (usually dirt scent). Sometimes I pick up acorns and dirt from the woods (if they are around where I hunt and put it in the ziplock!

I also use regular unscented DEO as well....much cheaper!

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
i have used hunters specalties for ever and i plan to stick with it just cause i have had good luck

i always get my next years supply after season closes on the clearence rack

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
I use Arm and Hammer Washing Soda to wash my clothes. Go to the laundry detergent section in the grocery store, they'll have it there.

IT WORKS, and its cheap.

Parker

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
Parker, does that soap have UV brighteners? Stand in a black light sometime & make sure your clothes are not glowing. Many animals see the uv wavelength very well.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
I do the same thing as huntforfood does, hit the wally world after season sales and pickup all that stuff for less than half.
I walk in real slow so hopefully I wont have to wash the outwear to many times...unless I get alot of blood on it!:dancin:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I wash my clothes in baking soda. Gets em clean, no scent, and no uv brighteners, and its cheap. I use H.S. specialties liquid soap for me and their cover scnets because I bought a couple cases of them a couple years ago on clearance. I'll probably try the cover scent recipe on here when I run out.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I always use the name brands. Don't know why really, guess I just feel a little more confident. Before I started using all the scent free/cover scent stuff, I used to just wash my clothes with everything else, but then I would hang them outside for 2-4 weeks before hunting in them. Seems like I used to see just as many deer then as i do now, but that was a long time ago and my memory isn't that great, so who knows. Guess I'll keep spending my money.

:roll2:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
Parker, does that soap have UV brighteners? Stand in a black light sometime & make sure your clothes are not glowing. Many animals see the uv wavelength very well.
Pinwheel......I'm not going to wear my camo to the dance club! :bangin: That's where I draw the line. :moon:

(I'll check it out)

Parker

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
Originally posted by pinwheel
Pinwheel......I'm not going to wear my camo to the dance club! :bangin: That's where I draw the line. :moon:

(I'll check it out)

Parker
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
2,157 Posts
I use purex free and clear on my clothes, but for my scent lock, its the special stuff. But last year, I harvested my big buck in an extra pair of camos (not scent lok) washed in purex and he never knew I was there.

I used to buy the expensive stuff, but now its just the cheap stuff!

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I'm using all the dead downwind products this year

·
Registered
680 Posts
Almost all detergents contain brighteners, even if they're advertised as "free" or "clear". That just means they're scent free or hypoallergenic. Because of that, I only wash my hunting clothes with baking soda.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.