Speaking of wind.

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by callaojoe, Oct 26, 2010.

1. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    High wind is just about the only weather condition that I absolutely hate to hunt in....:shrug:

I'd rather hunt in the rain, below zero temps, heat, fog, what ever before high winds..... I hate high winds.:cool3:

I actually like hunting in the fog.....:D

2. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.

3. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    i like hunting outside

signed,

...reb

:D

4. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    good windy days are great for sneaking thru the woods.it better not died down before i get out there:wave:

5. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1863461&tid=129758&author=coyotehunter]good windy days are great for sneaking thru the woods.it better not died down before i get out there:wave:[/rquote]

Sposed to be 15+ until friday from what I can tell.

I just don't have much in the way of spot and stalk places on my place. If I did, then maybe I would like it better. Out west, it was a good thing......:shrug:

But, for sitting in a stand... Wind....:cool3:

6. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1863459&tid=129758&author=Wings Fan 19]I like snow.[/rquote]

Yep, and a light rain is good too.....:shrug:

7. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    nope sitting in a stand makes me woozy on days like these,now if it was just raining to, it would be perfect:D

8. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    speaking of wind, I just got out of my truck in the parking lot. The wind caught my door and slammed it into a Cadillac. I did the good thing and put a note on their windshield....Hope it dosnt blow away. :whistle:

9. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1863474&tid=129758&author=coyotehunter]nope sitting in a stand makes me woozy on days like these,now if it was just raining to it would be perfect:D[/rquote]

Sneaky you are, yes......:D

10. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    [rquote=1863476&tid=129758&author=MellerAM]speaking of wind, I just got out of my truck in the parking lot. The wind caught my door and slammed it into a Cadillac. I did the good thing and put a note on their windshield....Hope it dosnt blow away. :whistle:[/rquote]

No no no....the note should read: "Dear Mr / Mrs Cadillac owner, I carefully pulled into this parking spot and upon opening my door the wind blew your Cadillac right into my door, could you please leave your contact info so I can be reimbursed, kindly MrXXXX"

11. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    I don't like hunting in high winds either. 10-15 mph is about as much of a wind as I can handle hunting in.

A buddy of mine recently moved to Casper, WY and I was talking to him Sunday. He said it was a good thing he got his speed goats killed Saturday cause it was blowing 40-60mph Sunday and he'd have no idea how you could hunt in that.

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1863460&tid=129758&author=hunter7x]i like hunting outside

signed,

...reb

:D[/rquote]

I like hunting from the recliner with the tv on.

signed,

...steve

:claphands:

13. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1863553&tid=129758&author=cummins5.9]I don't like hunting in high winds either. 10-15 mph is about as much of a wind as I can handle hunting in.

A buddy of mine recently moved to Casper, WY and I was talking to him Sunday. He said it was a good thing he got his speed goats killed Saturday cause it was blowing 40-60mph Sunday and he'd have no idea how you could hunt in that.[/rquote]

Make a 300 yd cross wind shot kind of interesting.:claphands:

14. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    [rquote=1863555&tid=129758&author=Rebel][rquote=1863460&tid=129758&author=hunter7x]i like hunting outside

signed,

...reb

:D[/rquote]

I like hunting from the recliner with the tv on.

signed,

...steve

:claphands:[/rquote]

:rof2:

15. cummins5.9

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    [rquote=1863557&tid=129758&author=callaojoe][rquote=1863553&tid=129758&author=cummins5.9]I don't like hunting in high winds either. 10-15 mph is about as much of a wind as I can handle hunting in.

A buddy of mine recently moved to Casper, WY and I was talking to him Sunday. He said it was a good thing he got his speed goats killed Saturday cause it was blowing 40-60mph Sunday and he'd have no idea how you could hunt in that.[/rquote]

Make a 300 yd cross wind shot kind of interesting.:claphands:[/rquote]

Yeah, no doubt. How many speed goats "off" would a feller need to hold in a 50mph crosswind?

16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I'd be worried it would come back around and hit me, in a wind like that...:rof2::rof2:

17. Neil

Neil New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Lee's Summit
    [rquote=1863565&tid=129758&author=cummins5.9][rquote=1863557&tid=129758&author=callaojoe][rquote=1863553&tid=129758&author=cummins5.9]I don't like hunting in high winds either. 10-15 mph is about as much of a wind as I can handle hunting in.

Make a 300 yd cross wind shot kind of interesting.:claphands:[/rquote]

Yeah, no doubt. How many speed goats "off" would a feller need to hold in a 50mph crosswind?[/rquote]

None, the speed of the goat would counteract the wind, aim dead center and you would be good.

18. cummins5.9

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    [rquote=1863569&tid=129758&author=callaojoe]I'd be worried it would come back around and hit me, in a wind like that...:rof2::rof2:[/rquote]

It's quite possible. He shot the first goat Saturday morning at a ranged 317yds and the second Saturday evening at around 400yds. He's a good shot but he didn't want anything to do with a 40mph wind.

19. woodcarver

woodcarver Active Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Smithville
    I'll be the first to admit that hunting in the wind is less enjoyable. but I do feel it gives the bowhunter some advantages. one is you can get to a stand location without being heard. The other is I think it blows your scent so much they can't pin point you as well. It also helps hide your movements. i hunted a whole week one season with high winds and saw plenty of deer.

Used to work with a guy that had killed five pope and young bucks, all on 30+ mph wind days. he actually scheduled his days to hunt on the windiest days.