Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
didnt get our nwsg planted last year....field grew up in weeds and what not..........seen on another website where frost seeded nwsg did very well..........question is can i broadcast seed and do a burn early spring without worrying about nwsg seed?

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
Why not go ahead & do the burn & then spread the seed? Then, if you can get hold of some plateau, spray the new growth with plateau & RU in late april before the WSG germinates?

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
[rquote=1567775&tid=109029&author=Scott_288]what does plateau and ru do compared to just ru?[/rquote]

Plateau it a pre emergent with residual. It'll keep small seeds from germinating while your WSG gets a foothold. The RU just burns down the existing growth.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
not at all. Will they pay for the herbicide??

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
You can drill it after a spring glypho application. You can frost seed it and them spray before it germinates. You can frost seed, and mow, and pray, or use a glypho/plateau mix.

Lot of options. Be nice to know what type of seed you are planting and what sort of "weeds" you had this past summer.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Journey is a Plateau/Glypho mix. Panoramic is an equivalent to Plateau.

I really don't think Plateau is that expensive when you break it down to a per acre cost. I haven't really put a pencil and paper to it though.

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its just a crp thingy hab,,,,,,,little blue sideoats,alfalfa, and ??? i might throw some switch in there as well.............it was a crop field.........****leburs,johnson grass,foxtail,beggerlice, seemed like alot of flowery plants were in there this summer, not sure if its old wsg seed that was just lyin there waitin

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
You may want to use Plateau. Old crop fields tend to be loaded with annuals.

Johnson Grass? That blows.

Do you not want to mess with drilling it?

Here's the thing, if you frost seed, you will kill the alfalfa and possible some forbs if you spray this spring with a non-selective like glypho. Plus it sounds like you have mostly warm season stuff anyway.

#1....frost seed and mow, #2.....spray, drill, and mow as needed. You could use the Plateau as well in both these plans. For the #1 option, I would get plateau only down just before spring green up. #2, I would spray with glypho and plateau in April or so and drill shortly after.

If it were me, I'd probably just throw it out and mow as needed this summer.

·
Registered
810 Posts
How are you planning on spreading the seed? If you don't have the spreader with the agitater in it it's a bi**h to get the seed to flow. I ended up mixing small pea gravel with mine and still had to stir it with a stick as I drove my 4 wheeler to get it thru my wide open spreader.

If there is a no till drill with the rotating brushes, that would be your best bet. I didn't have one available.

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we can rent the no-till from nrcs............if i were to broadcast probably just mix it in with the fertilizer.....sure would like to no-till but aint got a tractor with hydros quite yet

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I've seen a few frost seedings fail. (Not that we did). But I've done a few that have been successful. Weed competition by mowing will be key or you can always frost seed the WSG, spray in early-mid April, then broadcast the forbs.

Frankly, I'd be more apt to just throw it in the air then to try a use a broadcast spreader. But, if you want to try a spreader, NRCS offices may have Truax spreaders or know where you can borrow one.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Broadcast WSG will not all germinate the first year. It continues to germinate at a decaying rate over years. I broadcast a bunch last year after a superb burn. This year I'm not doing any late March/early April burns to give it a good start it's second year. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.