soybean question

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by marshallgrn, May 25, 2009.

1. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    since i bought a drill off this site this year i drilled my soybeans in on saturday, as a test i drilled 1 acre on 8 inch rows and the rest on 16 inch rows, i know the 16 inch rows will be fine but is the 8 inch to close? ive seen ag studies where they have done this before but im not real sure it was a good idea, has anyone ever tried 8 inch rows?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    people do it all the time. i guess it really depends what your wanting out of your crop...is it for money, or for animal forage? if its for plots, i wouldnt worry about them being too close and animals will browse them regardless.

3. Mastevt

Mastevt Strutt Buster

Apr 16, 2009
    Grain Valley
    Back on the farm, dad would plant his soybeans with the grain press drill. He plugged every other hole, so your 8 inch spacing will be fine.

4. usfwc

usfwc New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Did you double/increase the seeding rate as a result? If so, you should see an increase in the per acre yields of seed, but I wouldn't expect much, if any increase in forage yields. I think you would have been better off planting another acre myself.

5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

We have always drilled ours on 8 inch spacings. We normally drill about 70 to 75 pnds per acre. There are pro's and cons to both narrow and wide spacings on soybeans. I have raised 55 buschel beans using my ole 18 hole drill. Its probably going to come down to preference on your part.

:cheers::cheers:

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    As long as you have less than about 6plants per foot you'll be ok. Be better with only 2-3 per foot on 7" spacing which would be between 65 and 80 pounds per acre.
    Assuming of course you want a population of 180-220K/A drilled.

Population, spacing, soil etc all make a difference in pod fill and ultimate yield. If you dont intend to harvest I wouldnt lose any sleep.
    Most folks I know went back to 30" beans after the narrow-row craze subsided but there are still plenty of nr bean farmers for sure.

7. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    If you'd quit roofing and just become a full-time farmer as well as a consultant for me you'd have her figured out:whistle::wave::cheers:

Glad you got the plots In:cheers: