soybean question

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by beanpile, Feb 7, 2018.

1. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I was just given 5 bags of a "Becks" brand Liberty Link beans seed dated March of 2017. Becks seems to an Indiana company.. I have never heard of them and on the bag it says "Grown in Illinois, Ohio, Indiana" and a couple other more "northern" type states.

Wondering if they'd still be any good and would they be a quicker growing bean since up there the growing season would be shorter ( assuming there)?

Dont really have a place for them and if someone wanted to give them a try might work something out or I'll do a quick disc job someplace and throw them out there just because I wont let them go to the mice.

deerdown likes this.
  2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Is there a brand number on the bag such as 4453X2 or similar? This will tell you the maturity group and give you an idea of plant timing and latitude adaptation..

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    If they've been kept dry, they'll still be fine.
    If you disc and broadcast, you will need to lightly disc after broadcasting.

gurgalunas and beanpile like this.
  4. Farmball35

Farmball35 Active Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Lincoln County,MO
    There is hundreds of Becks seed dealers throughout the state I'm sure it came from a Missouri dealer

beanpile likes this.
  5. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Thanks

the only thing I can see that would resemble a code like that is 419L4. Lord knows what that means tho

6. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

ok well Its been awhile since I have really paid attention to seed brands

7. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    Just take about 20 of them and put them in a wet paper towel, and seal the paper towel in a ziplock bag. Kept inside they should germinate in a few days, it will give you a good idea of what you have.

Where are you located?

8. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Higbee area

9. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  10. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    Beck's are fine seed. Germination on oil seeds like beans fall off pretty quick compared to corn. I would do a germ test, as explained above, and adjust the rate accordingly, if needed.

11. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    I’ve heard of some farmers that have left over seed from the year before do a germination test. If they have 50% germination they just plant 50% more seed.