Source for .22-250 ammunition

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by rat, Mar 27, 2006.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Anybody got a good source for .22-250 ammunition? I would like to strike a good balance between economical and effective loads.

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    don't know how much you are planning to shoot
    if your looking to buy and not reload
    i have pretty good luck with cabela's prices being as good or better than any were
    you can pick up full metal jackets fairly cheap for target shooting but you can't hunt legally with them
    when i am serious i shoot only hornady as far as boughten sheel the v-max rock.
    you can buy soft points in the bulk 55 gr at cabelas not to bad of a price

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20839&hasJS=true

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Have you used this bulk ammo? Doesnt specify other that remington manufactured, soft pointed bullet. Also, should I stay away from remington umc ammunition?

I will be prairie doggin and expect to shoot a lot.

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    One more thing... the rifle I ordered is in. I ordered (least I'm dang sure I did) a .223 However, what came it was exactly what I ordered... cept for it is .22-250!! :mad::mad:

I really wanted .22-250 in the first place so I'm gonna let this slide. They said it will be 2-3 weeks before they could get the .223 and at this point, after putting downpayment, paperwork to re-do and the 2 week wait, guess I'm happy with the .22-250! THE ONLY REASON I wanted .223 instead of .22-250 in the first place was the price of the ammo, seeings how I dont reload centerfire. I know that this round is flatter and gots more punch than the .223 anyways.

SO... I am looking for cheap ammunition but I dont want crap. So, any advice I can get will be much appreciated!

5. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    BLACK HILLS remanufactured ammo. but it wont be as cheap as the bulk yellow box remington stuff.

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I saw the black hills remanufactured .223 but couldnt find reman'd .22-250.

7. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    I think I'd get the "White box Winchester" that Wally World and others sell, with the 45 or 46 grain hollow point bullets. Then, you'd have good ammo, at good prices, and, when you get around to loading your own stuff, good brass. Other than that, unless you can get a great case price on Hornady 55 V-Max, I'd be at a loss to recommend a good factory load. I think that the only factory .22/250s I've ever shot, were the Hornady 55s and Federal Premium 40s, all the rest (enough to wear out two barrels!) have been handloads, except maybe a rare box of Hornady 40 VMax, that I bought for chronographing purposes (it's way fast 4250fps). All told, I think that Winchester stuff is awfully good. Just remember to shoot slowly and let your barrel cool off, often (Yeah, right! THAT'LL HAPPEN!) Have fun, though, the .22/250 is the real deal on PDs, you should get LOTS of airtime and ratrobatics with it. BTDT:dancin:

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Lol, "ratrobatics"...sounds like sumptin Rat does after a 12 pack!!!!!!!hehehe

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    You got it! Just ask r2... I'm bout as clumsy a person you'll ever see after a few!:cheers:

Glen.. you brought up another point I am concerned about. Am I to assume that if I shoot say 6,8 or 10 shots and leter cool down, that I will extend the life of the barrell? Or does those .22-250 only have so many shots in them no matter what. That was another reason I was leaning toward the .223... I heard you can only put 2000 shots through most .22-250s but you can run 10000 through a good .223:confused:

10. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    If you shoot a .22/250 one at a time,(coyote hunting, for example) it will last as long as a .223, well, almost, anyway. Barrel heat is the bugaboo there, when the chamber gets hot, the throat erodes faster, as the metal is softer. Best bet, with ANY rifle when dogging, is to shoot it until you can't hang onto it. IF you can't grab the barrel tightly in your hand, the barrel is too hot to use, until it cools down. That's my standard, anyway. If I can't hang onto it, time to switch rifles and do it all over again. That's why I take a half-dozen rifles;). The .22/250 uses, in an average handload, about 35 grains of powder, the .223 uses about 25-26 grains. More powder= more heat, simple physics, there. I'd guess that you can get about 10-15 rounds between cooling periods, with a .22/250, a .223, 15-20. Other cartridges will do more or less the same thing, depending, again, on the amount of powder burned per charge (.25/06s burn 50+ grains of powder:mad:) .243s, somewhere around the mid 40s, and others, well, you get the idea....... If you don't have a .17HMR, I'd seriously think about one, to use while your new .22/250 is cooling off, they are a hoot in dog towns, they burn about 4 grains of powder, too:dancin: That little .221 I just bought, burns 15-19 grains of powder (depends on Which Powder). It's all relative, but the physical laws don't change much. You WILL have a fantastic time with the .22/250, that's what I used on my first two trips, and it's ruined me for life:):) Don't let what I've written here scare you about your new rifle, I'm thinking about another one, myself, just because I miss the backflips, helicopters and just plain hammering that you get with them. I LOVE them, I just can't control myself when shooting the danged rats!:hysterical:

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks glen.. I feel better now.

We'll have plenty o guns so I'll have time to let that .22/250 cool down.

12. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Oh yes, DO take your cleaning gear, and clean your rifle every 50 rounds or so, the cool solvent will help your barrel cool off quicker, and keep the powder fouling softer, so it comes out easier. Use a rod guide, and a quality, one-piece cleaning rod, and good, double-sided flannel patches (I use Pro-Shot stuff, others prefer Dewey rods, but I like ProShot patches and rods). I also use some stuff called Montana Extreme solvent, it's made my life a lot easier, and works faster than Shooter's Choice (#2 choice) Some like the foaming bore cleaners, but they work best when soaking overnight, and aren't really the best choice in a dog town, where the dust is blowing. If you do that, you should get several trips out of that new Savage.:eek: Another reason I take several rifles, is so I don't have to clean in the field, I wait until I get back to the motel, and clean them all at once. I hate cleaning rifles!

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Man.. thanks. Very good info! I'll be posting plenty of pics soon. thanks again

14. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I would second the Winchesters in the white box, the jacketed hollow points. One thing I would definately do is find out which weight of bullet that Savage likes. My 22-250 is a 1 in14 twist and you can definately see the 55 grain bullets starting to loose accuracy. the 40 and 50 grain bullets are punching holes but the 55 grains starts to open up some. Just a thought. I love my .22-250 and I would bet you will come back a ruined man. I would definately start checking into reloading, them 22-250's can get expensive.

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks... Yep.. I think I may get into c-fire reloading soon so I will be asking all kindsa questions about that soon also.

I had a chance to push back and demand the .223 that I am almost CERTAIN that I ordered in the first place, but I am sticking with the .22/250. I'll definitely reload if I get the varmit bug and start shooting a lot. :banana:

16. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
  17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks.. thats bout as good as I could find so far.

BTW.. wolf .223s were the ones that my friend was saying hung up in his remington 700.

18. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    wingman, you mounted that new scope yet ??

19. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Brike, the Wolf stuff is for the AKs and such, it's not worth spit for accuracy, which is what rat's gonna need. Avoid the Wolf, it's not worth your time, even if they did make it in .22/250, they don't. In any event, they don't allow FMJ ammo in a PD patch, there are usually cows off in the distance, and they ricochet like crazy. Who wants to buy a cow?
    Wingman, Savage .22/250s come with a 1-12" twist barrel, they'll handle 55s just dandy, in fact, that's probably the best weight for them, and one of the reasons I shot Savage instead of Winchester (That, and the fact that the Winchester was one of the barrels I shot out!) They'll shoot 60s, too! 50s are great, but hey, if the wind's blowing, 55s rule! If I had my way, they'd make .22/250s with a 1-9 twist, so I could shoot 69s, too! In fact, that might just be what I do next time, build a fast-twist .22/250, for those windy days! It's either that, or a custom .221 Fireball heavy barrel! Talk about extreme differences! Oh well, that's another project, for another time.....but it's gonna happen sometime! Those fast twist barrels really make good helicopters out of PDs, lots of rpms to flip 'em!

20. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I'll second what glen said about the Wolf ammo. I don't have much experience with it other than in handgun rounds. But the handgun ammo is DIRTY. Makes cleaning a real bear.