Sooo, HOW do you use your grunt call?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by knockemdeadd, Oct 31, 2010.

1. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    OK, was on stand yesterday about 30 mins or so, pulled out the grunt call, and thought....now what? How do you guys do it? Long slow grunts....or short, quick, ones? Real low pitched, kinda medium, high? I guess I did a few long slow ones, couple quick ones in there too. Dont think it mattered.....

What seems to work best? Loud? Soft? It was totally still where we were, for about the first hour or so, then slight breeze....

2. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    I alwys do 4 or 5 short loud ones followed by a long one then a snort wheeze

3. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    another question? exactly what are they doing when they grunt? looking for a fight? looking for does? both? i mean, i dont think ive ever heard it....they sure dont just walk around all the time making that sound....:shrug:

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I wait till the woods are as quiet as possible so the sound will carry. I keep the rubber band as far down on the reed as it will go (yes..you can adjust the calls pitch by sliding the O-Ring up or down the reed). I don't extend the tube at all. I start off by using a long deep slow grunt followed by 2 or 3 short grunts with the same volume. I've never experimented with the snort wheeze but I'd say it wouldn't hurt since you are trying to imitate a buck and that is one of the vocals they use. I give it 5 or 10 minutes until I try again in case there is a buck looking for that intruder that he heard and maybe just a couple or three short grunts. You don't want him to pin point your exact location but just the general area. I repeat this sequence every half hour...or when I wake up from my nap.

5. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    I will usually grunt softer at first, if no response in 5-10 mins, then a little louder. Just depends on how loud the woods are and what range the the deer are. Repeat about every half hour or so. And yes, they will just walk around grunting, especially this time I year. They are looking for a fight, looking for does and are just generally excited right now. I've had does come thru and bucks come thru hours later, nose to the ground grunting up a storm. I've heard them before I've seen them numerous times.

6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1872092&tid=130354&author=knockemdeadd]another question? exactly what are they doing when they grunt? looking for a fight? looking for does? both? i mean, i dont think ive ever heard it....they sure dont just walk around all the time making that sound....:shrug:[/rquote]

I haven't heard them grunt all that much but when I did the buck was following a doe that had come through the area minutes or hours earlier. Nose down and following like a bird dog does when on the scent of a long legged rooster. I don't think that they are looking for a fight at all but looking for a little lovin.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    only time i've heard a buck grunt was when they were chasing a doe....and it was non-stop grunting. I have grunted a few curious smaller bucks in, and i've got the attention of some bigger ones...depends what kind of mood their in i guess. i usually keep the oring all the way down so its deeper toned. wait till the woods are quiet (wind dies down), then 3-5 short grunts followed by a longer grunt. then sit and wait

8. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    good stuff. ive had the o-rind up a little. not much maybe the 2nd slot or third. i didnt want to sound like the bully, chase all the others off. im not necessarily lookin for the big guy, just any decent one will do for me. but i'll sure move it down.

i started tryin it couple years back, cant say its caused anything so far, never know though.

9. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    Bucks do grunt to start fights, the inflectiion of the grunt is what matters. We raised whitetails for 15 years and you would be suprised on the noises they make and when they make them.

10. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1872153&tid=130354&author=knockemdeadd]good stuff. ive had the o-rind up a little. not much maybe the 2nd slot or third. i didnt want to sound like the bully, chase all the others off. im not necessarily lookin for the big guy, just any decent one will do for me. but i'll sure move it down.

i started tryin it couple years back, cant say its caused anything so far, never know though.[/rquote]

Get you a doe bleat to go with it. Young bucks & old alike will come to a bleat. Those cans you tip work well.

11. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1872154&tid=130354&author=goosekilla]Bucks do grunt to start fights, the inflectiion of the grunt is what matters. We raised whitetails for 15 years and you would be suprised on the noises they make and when they make them.[/rquote]

:pop: im listening....

12. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    [rquote=1872158&tid=130354&author=pinwheel]Get you a doe bleat to go with it. Young bucks & old alike will come to a bleat. Those cans you tip work well.
    [/rquote]

When do you use the bleat Randy. I've tried it the past 5 or so times out but with no sign of it helping anything.

13. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    [rquote=1872153&tid=130354&author=knockemdeadd]good stuff. ive had the o-rind up a little. not much maybe the 2nd slot or third. i didnt want to sound like the bully, chase all the others off. im not necessarily lookin for the big guy, just any decent one will do for me. but i'll sure move it down.
    [/rquote]

The deep tone of the grunt does not mean it's a big buck. That is one of the biggest misconceptions about grunting. the deepest nasties sounding grunt I have ever heard came from a 9yr old doe while she was gathering her fawn.

We had a 5 1/2 yr old 180 class buck that sounded like a fawn should sound. I had a button buck 2 mornings ago come in grunting and when I first heard it, I was sure it was a big buck, but I was way off. The tone is just part of the inflection. Each deer has its own voice like each one of us, but deep grunts DO NOT mean its a big or dominant buck.

14. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    [rquote=1872266&tid=130354&author=goosekilla][rquote=1872153&tid=130354&author=knockemdeadd]good stuff. ive had the o-rind up a little. not much maybe the 2nd slot or third. i didnt want to sound like the bully, chase all the others off. im not necessarily lookin for the big guy, just any decent one will do for me. but i'll sure move it down.
    [/rquote]

The deep tone of the grunt does not mean it's a big buck. That is one of the biggest misconceptions about grunting. the deepest nasties sounding grunt I have ever heard came from a 9yr old doe while she was gathering her fawn.

We had a 5 1/2 yr old 180 class buck that sounded like a fawn should sound. I had a button buck 2 mornings ago come in grunting and when I first heard it, I was sure it was a big buck, but I was way off. The tone is just part of the inflection. Each deer has its own voice like each one of us, but deep grunts DO NOT mean its a big or dominant buck.[/rquote]

Agreed. I was out several years ago, does all around. I hear this DEEP loud grunting coming towards me. I'm getting ready figuring he's a monster. Well, he finally got into view and the "monster" was a 2.5 little spike. Live and learn.

15. clansey

clansey New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Bozeman, MT
    I have issues getting a buck to come back to an area that he just travelled through. I've had much better luck grunting if hes head in my direction but before he passes the area. If I'm lucky, I'll get the buck to draw closer to me a great shot! :cheers:

16. BuschCamocan4life

BuschCamocan4life New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    i had a 6 point come in thursday night and once he found the trail of the 2 does that had passed minutes before started trotting after them grunting the whole time. Once he found them he chased them all around grunting. Seems like the grunts of smaller bucks that ive heard is higher pitched while more mature ones are deeper :cheers:

17. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I usually just grunt low and slow early and when the rut nears I simulate a buck trailing a doe and ramp it up to a chasing more aggressive grunt sequence you would be suprised how a buck grunts when he is love struck... I like a graa,graaa,graaaaaaaaaaaa about 3 times and just a tending type grunt throughout the day like, graaaaaa once or twice every so often, right now you can do it wrong, get a vision of a big ol buck trailing a doe in your mind and do it!!!:2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

18. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    my cousin and I have debates all the time because he swears its a buck grunting and i say its a woodpecker...It does get us excited either way. Sounds stupid but are there any major differences between the two sounds. Seems to loud to be a buck grunt in my opinion

19. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1872158&tid=130354&author=pinwheel][rquote=1872153&tid=130354&author=knockemdeadd]good stuff. ive had the o-rind up a little. not much maybe the 2nd slot or third. i didnt want to sound like the bully, chase all the others off. im not necessarily lookin for the big guy, just any decent one will do for me. but i'll sure move it down.

i started tryin it couple years back, cant say its caused anything so far, never know though.[/rquote]

Get you a doe bleat to go with it. Young bucks & old alike will come to a bleat. Those cans you tip work well.
    [/rquote]

Yea I've used the Can for years called Bucks and Does alike.

I call a Buck off a Doe one time.

Called a Doe across a field after I hollerd a a Guy walking in on my Setup,he walked away she came right to me.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin uses the Can when he needs to go.