Sons first hunt at peck ranch can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Special Hunts' started by bigtrout79, Sep 24, 2015.

1. bigtrout79

bigtrout79 New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    This is my first post here. My 12 year old son was drawn for the youth hunt at peck ranch. He is very excited to go. I have not hunted peck for several years. I would like for him to have a good hunt and am seeking advice on an area to hunt and any other suggestions you guys may have. Thank you.

2. killmode

killmode Deplorable member

It changes from year to year... generally if you find the acorns, you will find the deer. I always like to get as far off the main roads as I can.

3. bigtrout79

bigtrout79 New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Ok. Thank you. We are planning on going on Thursday to look around a bit before the hunt.

4. gravedigger

gravedigger Senior Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Bland mo
    I will be down with my grandson for the youth hunt.. Normally just find a green field and the kids should'nt have a problem seeing deer.
    Remember they are used to seeing cars and people ... so until the shooting starts.. they dont get to alarmed .. besides I think there is only 60 kids compared to 200 hunters during the archery and muzzleloader hunts.. Widerack12 will be down with his daughter and he can give you a few tips also. You can send him a PM

5. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    Good luck to the little trout!

6. widerack12

widerack12 Local Legend

May 20, 2011
    Dent County
  7. bigtrout79

bigtrout79 New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Thank you fellas. He is very excited. I want to show him some deer and hopefully he can connect with one.

8. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes! :wave:

9. bigtrout79

bigtrout79 New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Do you fellas have any idea where I can get a copy of a topi map for peck ranch?

10. widerack12

widerack12 Local Legend

May 20, 2011
    Dent County
  11. bigtrout79

bigtrout79 New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Had a good time at peck ranch. Ran into Gravedigger and his grandson, good people ! We saw several deer and a lot of elk. We did not get a shot at a deer but had a couple of opportunities. It was a good teaching and learning trip for both of us. Thanks for all the help and advice.