Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son wanted to hunt this evening with his grandpa in our barnlot right behind the barn and 100 yards from dads house. There are always a few does that some out there and eat on the clover thats growing from feeding hay in there. Colton killed his first deer there a yearling doe during the youth season, and after seeing a doe there yesterday evening as we came out of the woods, wanted to hunt there.

Dad took him back there and they sat in my blind right out in the open rigth behind the barn. At 5:15 this buck jumped the fence out of a cedar thicket and fed right out into the lot, and 40 yards in front of the blind. Colton made the shot count and smoked him with a 40 yard shot taking out a shoulder the heart and lungs! The buck didnt make it out of the lot, he crashed into the fence 30 yards from where he was shot. He was very excited on the radio telling me he shot a buck! Dad was more excited than he was and has never killed a buck this size, and has never seen a buck in the lot before. But now he knows whats tearing up his pine trees in the yard! The buck is a nice 9 pointer, not the biggest in the woods, but for a 7 year olds 2nd deer and within sight of the house, its quite a trophy. Ive got trail cam pics of this deer in Sept and Oct and even have pics of this deer and my bowkill together in late September! When I shot my bow buck, this buck disappeared, I guess he moved up by the house, where he had a harem of does to himself, and no one ever hunted or bothered him. Funny how they do that.. I never expected them to see a buck tonight, but Im so happy for him that he did.

[file]80774[/file]

[file]80772[/file]

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
:claphands::eek:: Congrats kiddo!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
:eek:::claphands::woot:

·
Lunch break commander
8,419 Posts
awsome. I would be happy with that buck myself.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Great story, is that a good ole new England Arms 243 single shot?

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
good deal :cheers:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Congrats on an awesome buck

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Congrats on a dandy deer.:cheers:

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
:claphands:

Nice Angus!! That kiddo of yours is off to a great hunting career.

·
Lunch break commander
8,419 Posts
[rquote=1484435&tid=103755&author=Scrub Buck Hunter]Nice one!! Might want to point the weapon in a safe direction.[/rquote]

pictures sometimes give the illusion that the gun is pointed at someone when it acually is pointed very safely.

why is everyone so critical these days:shrug:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, Im still excited about it.. Hes only 7, and loves hunting,, no matter what it is. He took his first turkey Spring before last, and now has 2 gobblers under his belt, and his youth season doe, and now this buck.. Bad as I hate to say it, he is spoiled when it comes to hunting,, this kid has some luck.

As for the rifle,, the pics looks like its pointing right at my knee, but my knee was safely behind it,, but yes, we should have had it elsewhere to keep it from looking that way.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heres a couple trail cam pics of Coltons buck. First one is my archery buck I shot on Coltons birthday in the foreground, and Coltons in the background. The next is a pic of Coltons buck by itself. These pics are from a trophy rock in September.

[file]80804[/file]

[file]80802[/file]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts