Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have listened to repeat seminars on qdma and shootin every doe you can. why??? i can see the point if you got a ton of them to keep more food for other deer later on in winter. but can someone else give me another reason for shootin every doe you see on your average MO farm being 100 acres or less?? ill post my thought when i hear some of the other responses

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Fellas got to eat doesn't he?:D

·
PURE KILLER
38,019 Posts
i believe they just like to kill:D

and speaking of spotting scopes i went to pull mine out today and couldn't find it.got ideas where it is at:D

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,630 Posts
I think you'll see that attitude shifting here in the next few years. MDC's concentration on killing does has paid off in spades.
We've "stabilized" the herd, and need to start counting does... MHO only, of course.
Can't get no eggs if'n you got no hens...:cheers:

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
there are areas that you can do that
but it wil catch up with you sooner or later
and i think we are seeing in some areas were takeing to many does
has no become a bad management practice

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
Does should be shot if you feel there are too many deer on the property. Shooting every doe you see is not going to turn out for the better. Does should be shot for 2 reasons, make the buck to doe ratio closer, and steaks. :D

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,947 Posts
They just make good targets.......:claphands:

·
5,092 Posts
if you have too many does it's harder to see the bucks. 6 to 1 ratio and the buck is finding a doe behind every tree. he's not going to come out in the open and get shot if he doesn't have to look very far to find a doe in heat. So if you want a better chance of seeing a buck during the daylight hours you need to make sure your ratio's are better. imho

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[rquote=1494040&tid=104330&author=coyotehunter]i believe they just like to kill:D

and speaking of spotting scopes i went to pull mine out today and couldn't find it.got ideas where it is at:D[/rquote]

uhhhhh:peepwall:

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
[rquote=1494084&tid=104330&author=citybowhunter]if you have too many does it's harder to see the bucks. 6 to 1 ratio and the buck is finding a doe behind every tree. he's not going to come out in the open and get shot if he doesn't have to look very far to find a doe in heat. So if you want a better chance of seeing a buck during the daylight hours you need to make sure your ratio's are better. imho[/rquote]

however, deer arent in monogomous relationships either. that buck will breed many does, and will have to chase down ones that arent ready to do so. he'll move, his natural instincts to spread his genes as much as possible throughout the mating season says so. a doe remains in estrus for 24-48 hours...2 days. after that, she is no longer willing to breed and he'll move on to find another doe. and the current deer densities dont support the "doe behind every tree" either. most areas are only housing a couple deer per square mile.:shrug:

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1494084&tid=104330&author=citybowhunter]if you have too many does it's harder to see the bucks. 6 to 1 ratio and the buck is finding a doe behind every tree. he's not going to come out in the open and get shot if he doesn't have to look very far to find a doe in heat. So if you want a better chance of seeing a buck during the daylight hours you need to make sure your ratio's are better. imho[/rquote]

i agree with city

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1494102&tid=104330&author=20 feet high][rquote=1494084&tid=104330&author=citybowhunter]if you have too many does it's harder to see the bucks. 6 to 1 ratio and the buck is finding a doe behind every tree. he's not going to come out in the open and get shot if he doesn't have to look very far to find a doe in heat. So if you want a better chance of seeing a buck during the daylight hours you need to make sure your ratio's are better. imho[/rquote]

i agree with city[/rquote]

thats what we have all heard from from them seminars right??

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
no deer population dont shoot does , cant bring it up if you kill momma !

·
11,357 Posts
My point exactly in the areas that I have hunted. I have hunted next to the guys that have the kill everything mentality. It takes all the neighbors around efforts just to have a decent place to hunt when one neighbor decides to "kill everything". Some people don't care about management at all, all they care about it shooting deer. As of right now the way things are setup the neighbors can buy unlimited doe tags and are legal to do such. Hence the problem I brought up last night in my post. Interested to hear others take on this issue.:pop::pop:

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1494115&tid=104330&author=DForbis]My point exactly in the areas that I have hunted. I have hunted next to the guys that have the kill everything mentality. It takes all the neighbors around efforts just to have a decent place to hunt when one neighbor decides to "kill everything". Some people don't care about management at all, all they care about it shooting deer. As of right now the way things are setup the neighbors can buy unlimited doe tags and are legal to do such. Hence the problem I brought up last night in my post. Interested to hear others take on this issue.:pop::pop:[/rquote]

im waitin to say what i have to say too cause im waitin on a few people to chime in that have been all bout shootin every doe ya can like qdma preaches on

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I believe that you cant correctly manage a deer heard with the property size that most people have(100-200ac). I think you can deffinately do more harm than good and with a quicker response on smaller tracts of land. To many things to add in to the equation when trying to manage a deer heard in MHO

·
11,357 Posts
I welcome all the does that my food sources on the property can healthily (probably not a word) handle. I have never been much on the killing does to even out numbers. I have listened and see the benefit that the seminars are trying to put forward. My thinking is more does in the area to breed. The more bucks that WILL be in my immediate area trying to breed them. I have no problem with high deer density (if the property can sustain them). I am not saying that I don't shoot does, but I don't shoot them just to shoot them. Just my :02:

·
Registered
574 Posts
If someone says the objective of the QDMA is to shoot as many does as possible, they are not accurately representing what Quality Deer Management is about. If you are practicing QDM, you are passing up fawn (1/2 year olds), yearling (1.5 year old) and some 2.5 year old bucks as well as harvesting an adequate number of does. If you do not know what 'adequate' is for your area, keep your harvest ratios (bucks taken per does taken) about equal until you have the data and/or knowledge about what needs to be done to get your herd where it needs to be. Overharvest is a VERY common mistake for those just beginning QDM and they become very disappointed in QDM as a result. The problem was not 'QDM', but their lack of knowledge on how to apply the principles.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[rquote=1494134&tid=104330&author=usfwc]If someone says the objective of the QDMA is to shoot as many does as possible, they are not accurately representing what Quality Deer Management is about. If you are practicing QDM, you are passing up fawn (1/2 year olds), yearling (1.5 year old) and some 2.5 year old bucks as well as harvesting an adequate number of does. If you do not know what 'adequate' is for your area, keep your harvest ratios (bucks taken per does taken) about equal until you have the data and/or knowledge about what needs to be done to get your herd where it needs to be. Overharvest is a VERY common mistake for those just beginning QDM and they become very disappointed in QDM as a result. The problem was not 'QDM', but their lack of knowledge on how to apply the principles.[/rquote]

pretty much every seminar i have been to they have preached anytime is a good time to harvest does...........grant woods says to be trigger happy on them...............

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Ya still have to know how big your population is and the sex ratio and you cant accurately obtain this info from 100ac....no matter what Dr. Grant Woods says. And I would bet he would say that you would have to know the same info before you can go shoot every doe you see

1 - 20 of 62 Posts