Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the $100 moultrie,,,seen tonight at cabelas a solar panel for cams for $20,,,can i use this on my cam,,,not sure which exact it is,,,i wanna think the moultrie d40?

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,704 Posts
Originally posted by missionhunter
if so,,,how does it work and how does it hook up,,,no more batteries needed?
Solar panels will act as a charger. You're going to have to have rechargeable batts in your camera. Wire it to the pos & neg of the battery terminals.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are they worth it,,,or just keep going with buying batteries everymonth?

my cam useds 6 d cell batteries

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
Adding to what Pinwheel said, check to see if you need a 6 volt or a 12 volt solar panel for your cam, they have both and you don't want to hook the wrong one up.

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
are they worth it,,,or just keep going with buying batteries everymonth?

my cam useds 6 d cell batteries
6 D-cell rechargables and a solar panel will last you a long time. I use c-cell rechargables in my cams. And I have a solar charger on one of my 6 volt cams and I haven't bought regular c-cells or 6-volts in over 2 years.

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
how do i hook it up to my 6 d cells?
I'm not sure how it hooks up on a D40, you might need a special plug that connects where your external power source would go. On my old Moultrie I have an external hookup for one. If nothing else, you could run a couple wires inside the case and seal up the opening.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think next time ill ask,,,i hope i can use one this year,,,better than going out there every two weeks and buying batteries

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
i think next time ill ask,,,i hope i can use one this year,,,better than going out there every two weeks and buying batteries
No doubt about that, I figure I've saved well over $200 dollars in the last 8 months with my rechargables.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I kind of wondered how a solar charger hooked up to the D40s. I've got one for my older moultre and it works great. No more batteries!

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
Rechargable D batteries are very expensive.http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=710
My C-cells weren't cheap either, and I have 16 of them. But when you consider it's about $12 every time you change your Duracells, they pay for themselves in a hurry. I think I have about $130 worth of batteries and charger, but I would have used alot more than that in regular batteries over the last 2 seasons.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,486 Posts
dang guys - My Cudde back no flash will go for almost the whole season on one set of D cells. Some othese cameras really eat them I guess

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
Originally posted by Big_Bullseye
dang guys - My Cudde back no flash will go for almost the whole season on one set of D cells. Some othese cameras really eat them I guess
That really depends on how many pics you get, and how many are with the flash. There will be times I'm getting over 400 pics a week, and I've had as many as 650 in one week.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,486 Posts
I get about 100 per week and no flash - IR.

I have heard some of these cams are battery hawds though regardless of pic qty....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts