Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
81,617 Posts
The fertilizer recommendations are bottom left. Lime is bottom right. The enm is variable so you will have to ask based on what kind of lime and where you get it. You need to get your ph up before trying alfalfa. 02

· Registered
6,911 Posts
With the alfalfa You need to know the soil ph a neutral soil does best.LIME IS CRITICAL TO A GOOD STAND . other wise phosphorous and potassium fertilizer. The clover and alfalfa BEING LEGUMES MAKES ITS OWN NITROGEN.
iF YOU COULD POST A PICTURE OF THE SOIL TEST I WOULD THINK SOMEONE COULD TELL YOU WHAT IT SAYS.HIGH GROUND IN NE MO THAT HAS NOT HAD ANY LIME FOR A LONG TIME WOULD START AT 3 TONS PER ACRE WITHOUT WORRY.
LIME IS CRITICAL THE RIGHT PH ALLOWS THE PLANTS TO INTAKE NUTRIENTS AT THE OPTIMAL RATE. cLOVER IS MORE FORGIVING BUT ALL PLANTS BEFORM BEST WHEN THE PH MEETS THEIR WANTS.

· just a no body
16,263 Posts
looks like you need a lot of phosphorus . JMO here but clover is your best bet and yur MFA SHOULD have some 6-24-24 available or if you can custom make your mix with a lot of P in it.
also there is it his method https://homeguides.sfgate.com/increase-phosphorus-potassium-soil-70915.html

In regards to the lime & ph in your soil.. I feel your pain. My plots are small so I apply pell lime ( very cheap at lowes especially if you buy 10 bags or more) it spreads in the spreader easy enough but the plots I disc I go get a tractor bucket of Ag lime I had dumped & throw it out using a shovel and disc in for a longer benefit

Your Lime recommendation IIRC and anyone feel free to correct me is the amount of lime needed for 1000 ENM..no lime is that good so say if your lime' ENM which you can get that info from the quarry is 700 so you'll obviously need to calculate that amount that it would take to do an acre and adjust.I dont remember what the ENM of Pell lime is but its up there, much better than quarry lime . There are are disagreements of the benefits of Pell. Its marketed as a quicker benefit and but I have also heard its also shorter benefit

· Registered
195 Posts
Most importantly address your ph. Pellet lime is just fine but if you have access to a local feed store or quarry go ahead and spread about 4,000 pounds of ag lime on it. Once your ph is correct you will get all the benefits of the fertilizer. I’m fairly new to food plotting but I’ve learned real quick that ph is everything. With poor ph it doesn’t matter how much fertilizer you put down your crop will only take in 50% at best.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
Once your pH is adjusted, it will free up some of the P&K already there but tied up in insoluble forms.

Reactions: beanpile
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.