Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a soil sample sent to the extension office last year and when i got it back i noticed that it had been signed by a Agronomist from Portageville instead of my area. I called him up to see what the deal was and we ended up talking quite awhile. Seemed like a really good guy.
He told me that the nutrient requirements given on a soil test need to be put on for three consecutive years to bring the soil up to the desired rating. I had never heard that before and was wondering if any of you had heard this.

·
Under appreciated
89,769 Posts
Did you show any micronutrient deficiencies?

pH amendments can take a few years to fully adjust in your soil and unusually high or low pH values can either tie up some nutrients or make others too abundant and cause toxicity.

What specifically was he referring to?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was referring to the (p), (k) and (Ca) requirements. I was under the impression that one year would bring it up but i was told it takes three years of the recommended fertilizing rate to bring the levels to the desired rating.
My test results doesn't show anything in the micronutrient spaces. It just shows (p), (k), (Ca) and(Mg).

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I'd figure 1 year of adding to soil test recommendations would do it. Next year it may require some more to grow the next crop.

·
Registered
23,529 Posts
That doesn't seem to make sense to me. Nobody is going to let fertilizer sit on a field for 3 years while it amends the soil, and as soon as you plant something, the plants will start using the fertilizer, which will change any residual effect it may have had on the soil. Planting 3 different crops over 3 years will also change those requirements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts