SO.........

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by STTH, Oct 29, 2010.

1. STTH

STTH Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Turd Crick North
    after all 3 people I regularly hunt with coming up blanks to hunt the pass for every day so far what are everyone elses opinions of the new Quick DUD. As you can tell I think it stinks to put it mildly think any one will listen?

2. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    i will love it when i draw a pill. i truthfully only hunt the pass 1 or 2 times a year because i don't want to leave my house at 3am for no reason. figure if i can draw a pill 1 or 2 times this year I will be happy.

3. STTH

STTH Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Turd Crick North
    I guess when they implement this at all places next year there will be some bargains on a lot of duck hunting gear since it don't look like I will ever have enough money to lease or own a place to hunt. Thanks to MDC for making our public hunting less accessible.

4. S_Z_R

S_Z_R New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    SWMO
    STTH,

how many reservations did you get to the Pass last year??? This is EXACTLY the same as standing in the poor line at 4:00 am, cept you can do it in your undies and the comfort of your cubicle (i mean home). quit your crying, there are plenty of places to hunt and if you miss poor lining it at the pass, go do it, you still have a slight chance of pulling the magic pill. Sorry to be harsh but the season starts tomorrow, there will be plenty of time for crying and moaning and *****n in about 86 days (plus an additional week if you chase gooses).

5. squints1

squints1 New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Sikeston, MO
    I have a buddy that works at MDC and he told me yesterday there were over 4,000 Quick Draw applications for both days at Grand Pass and they are hunting 17 spots. I'm sure when I apply for Otter Slough today it will be about the same odds.

Even though you guys didn't get drawn for the Quick Draw, you realize that they will still have at least 20% of the spots available in the poor line right? I say at least because I'm sure some of the people that drew out in Quick Draw won't show up.

Right now, I like the idea of this system. Saves me a lot of gas and sleep. Maybe I will change my tune later in the year but we'll see.

6. tjmstng68

tjmstng68 New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Pacific
    [rquote=1869600&tid=130126&author=squints1]I have a buddy that works at MDC and he told me yesterday there were over 4,000 Quick Draw applications for both days at Grand Pass and they are hunting 17 spots. I'm sure when I apply for Otter Slough today it will be about the same odds.

Even though you guys didn't get drawn for the Quick Draw, you realize that they will still have at least 20% of the spots available in the poor line right? I say at least because I'm sure some of the people that drew out in Quick Draw won't show up.

Right now, I like the idea of this system. Saves me a lot of gas and sleep. Maybe I will change my tune later in the year but we'll see.[/rquote]

used to be less entries for one time reservation draw. and still left 50% to poor line. correct? So how does this help the people that REALLY want to go? This just means that everyone will enter for a chance even people who could careless just because there buddy, brother, dad, talked them into it so they would have a better chance. Not as easy to talk someone into driving to poor line at 3am if they dont like to hunt. Just taking spots away from people that enjoy the sport and giving it to people who happen to draw in. at first I liked, but less and less.

7. squints1

squints1 New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Sikeston, MO
    I'm not saying its still the same. Just saying that you still have a chance to hunt even if you don't get drawn for Quick Draw. Duck hunting is my first love, more so than deer hunting, but I almost quit hunting the last few years because of getting up at 2 am, driving 45 minutes to Otter Slough or Ten Mile, then turning around and driving back home 45 minutes with nothing but wasted gas and time. I think two years ago I went 22 straight days of not drawing in. I have no private land to hunt and rely strictly on the CA. I drew in a total of 4 times at Otter and 5 at Ten Mile that year. Last year I only hunted on the CA's 7 times, but they were all on reservations and one poor line draw (only time I tried). Again, I'm not saying its a better chance or even an equal chance. Just saying if you have a year like I had two years ago, you may appreciate it a little more right now. I even said, I may not like it later on. If you are one of the guys who somehow draws in every time you show up, then I understand you may be a little frustrated. One thing I do like is that this may keep the guys who have duck leases from showing up at the poor line like they used to. I know plenty of people who hunt on prime leases that would still show up and drawn in Otter, taking a spot from people that have nowhere else to go. Now, I know that isn't illegal or anything, but why pay the money for a lease if you are going to go to the CA's every morning too?

8. STTH

STTH Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Turd Crick North
    SZR there were just short of 1500 apps for the 13 spots at GP I like my odds better when I only had to compete daily against 60-100 so I don't see how it is the same.:confused:

9. Anyone that thinks this is better is nuts. I have never went to os or ten mile and not got to hunt. Yeah odds are I should have been turned away, but haven't. Yes I have drawn high enougjh I went and hunted elsewhere, but rarely. Yeah, I can sure see better odds drawing against 4000 people than 100. I think its just awesome, for the people toolazy to go poor line, and put the work in and have a back up spot. But boy it sucks for us guys who asrent to lazy, and won't get to hunt a place close to home cause the city folks who don't wanna put the effort in can draw out from there underware as you said. What you guys don't realize is how much local pressure this is gonna put on places like duck creek, ten miles, and a the non drawe places in semo. All the folks who usually draw at otter will have to go somewhere else sincee there odds are almost none now. If you wanna know what I really think just let me know! Hopefully they will start concentrating on making deer hunters lives more miserable and give us a freaking break!

10. tjmstng68

tjmstng68 New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Pacific
    [rquote=1869688&tid=130126&author=Chad]Hopefully they will start concentrating on making deer hunters lives more miserable and give us a freaking break![/rquote]

:rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:

11. S_Z_R

S_Z_R New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    SWMO
    [rquote=1869634&tid=130126&author=tjmstng68][rquote=1869600&tid=130126&author=squints1]I have a buddy that works at MDC and he told me yesterday there were over 4,000 Quick Draw applications for both days at Grand Pass and they are hunting 17 spots. I'm sure when I apply for Otter Slough today it will be about the same odds.

Right now, I like the idea of this system. Saves me a lot of gas and sleep. Maybe I will change my tune later in the year but we'll see.[/rquote]

used to be less entries for one time reservation draw. and still left 50% to poor line. correct? So how does this help the people that REALLY want to go? This just means that everyone will enter for a chance even people who could careless just because there buddy, brother, dad, talked them into it so they would have a better chance. Not as easy to talk someone into driving to poor line at 3am if they dont like to hunt. Just taking spots away from people that enjoy the sport and giving it to people who happen to draw in. at first I liked, but less and less.[/rquote]

Ok so this is a good point and I will take back my saying that it is "EXACTLY the same". However, who is to say that there weren't 4000 peeps wanting to go to the poor line last year and didn't just because they knew their chances were slim. This is a much better system for fellas like me that only go up there 1 or 2 times a year and hope and pray that we draw in. This way we are saving time and money. I bet that as the season goes on, you will see you will get to hunt these places just as much as you did in previous years (statistically speaking). Then numbers will start to go down as the season progesses, deer season opens, the weather gets colder...so really as the hunting gets better, your cances will probably improve.

12. S_Z_R

S_Z_R New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    SWMO
    to be honest, I think most all of the mdc duck parks should be open hunting. First come first served.

13. That is exactly right! The mdc has went to trophy management for deer to bring inb more oos money, and is trying to do the same with duck numbers. Why else would they try to keep more and more people from duck hunting, more and bigger refuges full of food everywherre. I just wish they would quit trying to cater to the lazy weekend warriors in the big city, and open it up and force them to learn how to hunt, rather than telling them which blind to go sit in. Open em up, and quit trying to satisfy just the folks with the money and influence, make it fair across the board. How many deer hunters you think would jump off a chair if they had to drawe to hunt, out of a tree stand in the wrong tree, faced the wrong direction? What it boils down to is if you duck hunt, and can't afford a lease, you might as well drop your drawer and walk in the nearedst hedquarters backwards. Like they been saying for years, Mostly-Duck-Control
    [rquote=1869807&tid=130126&author=S_Z_R]to be honest, I think most all of the mdc duck parks should be open hunting. First come first served.[/rquote]

14. S_Z_R

S_Z_R New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    SWMO
    could you image though, if the Pass was open hunting??? There would be some serious issues with dmbarses fighting, hunting too close, crowding, etc. It can be bad enough when they limit the number of parties. Maybe if they opened up the refuge too....hmm, theres an interesting thought....get rid of the huge refuges and let peeps hunt that land too. Do the ducks really need to be concentrated in the ginormous numbers that currently congregate at these mega refuges. Let the friggin birds spread out to give more opportunities to more hunters to more areas (especially the ones that want to put the work in to scout or manage their own land)...

can you tell that i have very little work to do today? :claphands:

15. Duck parks are concerned with one thing, holding ducks. Duck hunting is low on the priority list. That's why open areas look like they have been row planted with cuckle burrs, and the refuges at the parks are full of corn. Planting the refuges, when the park closes at 1 is crazy. Them birds have all afternoon to feed anywhere they choose. Yeah, open up some of the refuge, and hunt more paties per unit. Most of the units could handletwice, or three times the parties they hunt now.

16. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    SEMO
    I agree that quickdraw sucks, but it aint no worse than that jacked up crap we've been doing for the past several years.

If there's gonna be any kind of draw system, I say get rid of reservations completely and get rid of every member draws. Every single spot should be drawn for in the poor line.

If they were gonna open em up, I say close every road on the place and put up a gate at the front, walk-in only. That is except areas that have boat lanes, where you could take the boat in from the front gate, no trucks or four wheelers etc.

17. S_Z_R

S_Z_R New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    SWMO
    can i put wheels on my layout boat and pull it like a waggon til I get to the water? If the answer is yes, then I think I like your idea a lot DJ

18. S_Z_R

S_Z_R New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    SWMO
    BTW, i am thinking about doing that anyway :D

Make it like a Branson Duck :hysterical::rof2:

19. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    SEMO
    [rquote=1869934&tid=130126&author=S_Z_R]can i put wheels on my layout boat and pull it like a waggon til I get to the water? If the answer is yes, then I think I like your idea a lot DJ[/rquote]

If I was runnin MDC the areas would be like a used car lot, push pull or drag!!

20. STTH

STTH Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Turd Crick North
    [rquote=1869807&tid=130126&author=S_Z_R]to be honest, I think most all of the mdc duck parks should be open hunting. First come first served.[/rquote]

I agree 100% it can't be that much more dangerous than the CA's that are big deer spots with tons of yahoos packing HIGH POWER rifles. They must think us people who duck hunt are plumb stupid and will shoot each other.

But then we must be stupid to get up at 230 -300 in the morning for a chance at getting to hunt :rof2: