Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rifle? Crossbow? Recurve? Smokepole?

What weapon do you hunt with????????????

As for me..........I use my Matthews Q2, CVA Optima Smokepole, and my Remington 30-o6

That what I will be haulin into the wood this year.........how bout you?

Oh yeah..........I am hoping that this topic will not stir the pot quite as much as my last one...........:D

·
Former Chicken Man
20,352 Posts
Rifle only, because my back got bad enough that I couldn't hold up my crossbow anymore. (Too front-heavy). I use my Ruger M77 All-Weather stainless/synthetic, the older one with Ruger molded into the stock. It's a 7mm mag, and has a 3x9 Redfield Widefield scope.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Hoyt Trykon (1 antelope down), Browning .300mag, Thompson/Center .50 ML, I would use handgranades if they had a season.:sniper:

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Probably be hunting with my Mathews MQ32 as often as I can get out there. Rifle season I will go out with my nephew the first weekend and carry my Browning Medallion. Take a weekend off and go back to archery.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Handgranade season???????????????????

I like it! Of course, it would be a blow up a doe before you can take a buck deal:peepwall:

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Welp, plans for early season are already being changed a little and not by choice. But, if all goes well I will use a Barnett crossbow during archery portion, rifle will be my old companion, a Savage 270 and 1 of 3 smokepoles. :cheers:

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOP.....what kinda range do you have with a cross bow?

I have never seen one in action....

·
Former Chicken Man
20,352 Posts
I always kept it within the same range as when I hunted with a compound, even though it was 175# draw. I'd go a little over 30, but long shots at anything but targets. Too easy for wind deflection and stuff like that. The big advantage (other than it being held ****ed) was the Simmons crossbow scope I had on it. Easy to be consistant, and the reticles helped range the deer, if it was an adult.
I miss bowhunting, but when I couldn't hold steady for a good shot I knew it was time to quit.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to shoot one of those someday, they look like a pretty bad weapon!:eek:

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah.....I have one spot in STL county that is bow only.......it would be kinda neat to use one during the rifle season there.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Many people have the impression that crossbows have a very long range, but you'll find that most people that hunt with them only take shots that a regular compound hunter will take. They are very accurate up to say 30-40 yards but after that, those heavy bolts drop way off. Other than the fact that they are locked backed and held to the sholder under 150-175 lbs, their effective range isn't much different than a compound.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I am one of those guys...........I thought they were good to 50 yards.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Gogop, sorry you had to give it up. They are front heavy as you said. I am starting to have the same problem. ****ing is a problem also these days. :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
First year bowhunting with a PSE Fireflight at 60 pounds with Montec G5 heads. Rifle is the trusty old Savage 110 7mm Mag that I bought 13 years ago loaded with Winchester 150 grain ballistic silvertip ammo. If I tag a trophy buck with the bow then I'll be done for the year. Chris

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.