So now that

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by hunter7x, Apr 10, 2006.

1. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    the youth season is over and it doesn't seem like the birds were very willing to come to calls from the stories I saw, do you still think the birds are getting too early of a start ?

That seemed to be the most popular opinion not too long ago?

2. mrmurph

mrmurph Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    Well, Saturday morning Dalton and I could not get birds to act interested even while on the roost. Sunday morning, they responded hot and heavy from the roost and the five gobblers that I had gobbling all came to the call within an hour of 1st light that morning.

Dalton was just a little quick on the trigger, he thought I said shoot when I really said wait or he would have had his bird by now. He was really upset but I told him that this is a learning experience and turkey hunting is tough, don't worry about it and we'll get his bird during the regular season.

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    The last three years have been tough in my area. When the gals get their man it is tough to get his attention. I had to swith to ambush tactics. I would love to see the season a at least a week earlier. Two weeks would even be better in my opinion.

4. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I no longer turkey hunt, beacuse the season opens so late (to-late) for me to waste $$ on a tag. The only luck I ever had was on opening morning (which means burning a vacation day) and getting to the birds before the knuckle head in blue jeans and white t-shirt ran them off.

5. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Steve what does it matter there is a turkey tied to a tree waiting on you!

6. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    :D

I was just making conversation but it's good to know you took care of me !

7. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    :hysterical:

8. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Keith I do not need your help here!!!!

:smiley:

9. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I would also love to see the season start a week sooner, but what is the chance of the MDC listing to us hunters.

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Well where I hunted the Toms are henned up reaL BAD!! Will they still be looking for girls in 2 weeks? I think so but it is sure gonna be tall and green.

Jack

11. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    We had a very disapointing youth hunt but... It might just work out for the opening week, Our birds are henned up and as always the females won out. THIS TIME!

12. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana

Are you serious ?

What about the thousands of Turksyes killed during the season in MO?

13. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I still believe turkey season should open the first monday of April. The weather was the main factor on the youth hunt. The toms are henned up during this transition but you have to know how to hunt them when they are. That's by calling aggressively (which I like to do) and trying to sound like many hens or a fight. You have to do a lot of leg work to sometimes find a tom that is willing to pull out of the group, a single lonely tom, or a hen who will bring the group to you. All of that is do-able and in my opinion is working a bird. This week and next, the birds will break up more and spread out. Instead of hearing 5-6 gobbles on the same ridge, they will be more scatterred and less likely to have a hen with them. These next 2 weeks will be the best hunting days in my opinion. By opening day, most of the breeding will be done and the toms know it. Very few hens will be calling to toms and the toms know it. Toms might answer a call but most will do only that, answer. Most of the toms will expect the remaining hens that are looking to breed to come to them. Deer hunting ambush tactics will be the main way to kill a bird in the 2nd and 3rd week of this year's season and to me, that aint working a bird. You will have to be where that tom is planning to be before he is and coax him over with a few clucks and purrs. There will be very little gobbling or strutting. That's not turkey hunting in my book. That's about how this season will play out in my opinion in the southern part of the state. I suspect the birds will be about a week or so behind in the northern half of the state. We should be out there chasing them right now.

14. After blanking out the last two seasons, ambush tactics are the only way to go as far as I'm concerned, I know where ones gonna be, he was there two weeks ago when I was up on the farm, he was there last year, so I know exactly where to get him. I don't even plan to call to him.

BTH