So, how do you get your guns ready for deer season?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Satch, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Was out at the range yesterday putting the finishing touches on some rifles and trying out some new handloads. (really need something better for 120gr for 7mm-08):wave:

Was watching some other guys down the line and had to step in before I went crazy. First guy was about 16. Rem 7400 with a $5.00 scope. He'd stack his ammo boxes up for a rest after he figured out he couldn't get the gun zeroed by free handing it. Placed his left hand over the barrel and complained about how hot the barrel got on each shot. Gas ports do tend to have that effect on bare skin. :stickfight: Explained that to him and got the Lead sled out to help get the rifle on.

Another guy was out there with his .30 cal carbine. Good shooter out to about 50 and explained that the 30 rd. magazine would be illegal during deer season. He said he'd never had a problem in the past. :rules: Just trying to save him some $$$$$.

Third guy shootin with his bi pod couldn't get it on. Lead sled there to fine tune. Talked about how they couldn't justify the cost of one. Between the three of them they went through a minimum of 5 boxes of ammo. Some really high dollar stuff at that. I tried to explain that to get the rifle on only takes 3-4 shots with the lead sled and then practice with the rifle sighted in. Those 5 boxes of ammo probably cost in the neighborhood of $140-150. You can get a lead sled for around $100. pays for itself in a year.:02:

Last guys. One was a shooter. He could take the old military surplus guns and make them shoot. Had a Draganov (probably spelled wrong) that he had another guy shooting. Kept having him dial in the range on the "Sniper" scope to shoot out to 500yds. according to him he was shooting through the hole in the 500 yard steel target. According to what I was seeing (dust cloud) he was missing. Watched these guys shoot till they ran out of ammo. Their comment was they were going home to reload some hunting ammo now that the guns were zeroed.:eek:

I try to help out when I can and was amazed at what I saw.(although I shouldn't have been)

All in all, the Rem 700, .243 will put the Bergers in the head of the silhouette target at 500 yds. the 2 encores 25-06 heavy barrel and 7mm-08 are good. The 7mm-08 would be better if I could get a 120 gr. to shoot consistantly. 140gr shoot Minute of deer to 300.

My Tikka 25-06 was fun to say the least. No complaints with any of the loads and look forward to seeing what it will do on a deer in the next week of deer season.

.300 WSM is being loaned out to a family that lost their house and everything in it so it's checked out as well.

Have fun this year and make sure your deer weaponry is sighted in. Dont want to read a bunch of post of how the rifle was off and caused me to miss the "Biggun".:cheers:

2. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    went to a local gun club. sat down with a guy who had everything there. i shot, he placed a stickpin in the target. about 1/16" from dead bull. i was done. shot once more at 100yds, about 1/8" from the first one. cased my gun.

all for $6 each, including having my BILs gun boresighted, no charge... :cheers:

3. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Satch....

What load are you working up for that 7mm-08? I reload a 120 grain ballistic tip for my wife's 7mm-08 and it is an absolute tack driver.

I'm happy to share it with you if it is a different load. I don't have it memorized though, I'll have to check it out and get back with you.

4. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    So, did you shoot the boresighted rifle or just trust it to be on?:D

5. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1887225&tid=131477&author=Satch]So, did you shoot the boresighted rifle or just trust it to be on?:D[/rquote]

it was my BILs. he shot it a few times, i dont know why though :rof2::rof2::rof2::cheers:

6. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    You'd just laugh at me if you seen me gettin ready satch.:D

I went out the patio door to the patio table. Took a rolled up blanet to use for a front rest. Had an old pallet setup at 167 yds & hung clay pigeons on it with fresh cardboard behind them. First shot on the WSM 270 resulted in a dust cloud, so I put that gun away. The 243 I bought from you hit 6" right, so I dialed it a little & missed by 1/4" left, so I dialed again & got a second dust cloud. Let Jenny shoot both guns at other pigeons & she shot the center out with both guns.

If the wind will ever lay, I'm gonna set some milk jugs full of water out at 300 yds for the 270.

For me, it don't take a lot of shootin to know I'm on, it just takes me being honest with myself as to whether it was a good shot or not. No excused, if I duff it, I say so & shoot again.:cheers:

7. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I shoot mine various times through the year, so I don't do any last minute shooting/sighting in. :wave:

8. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
  9. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Clean the rifle then Lead sled 100 yards 1" with the .270 130 grain. Should be about dead on at 200

10. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1887249&tid=131477&author=GoGop]I shoot mine various times through the year, so I don't do any last minute shooting/sighting in. :wave:[/rquote]

Agreed. No last minute deals with me.

11. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Clean my rifle then shoot offhand and sitting at the range. I like my barrel to be fresh fouled, it seems to shoot better that way. I'll go thru a box of shells at the range then I'm good to go.

12. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I put up 20 fresh reloads, I take them to the range, I fire 1 down range if it is dead on I fire 4 more if I get a good group I stop.

13. Bowhunter4life

Bowhunter4life New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    just layed a sweat shirt on the hood of my truck, hung a peice of cardboard up at 100 yards on a haybale, first shot was right, adjusted and put 5 shots within a 2 inch circle, put her away

14. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    Set up target, took two shots high and right. Made adjustmest to scope. Took two shots was dead center about an inch below the bullseye. Didnt have the official grid with 1" marking, just a piece of Aluminum with a black dot. Adjustments were guestimates

Adjust for elevation. Took 5th shot. Put it about 1/2 above the bullseye centered. Rifle cased. Its a .25-06 shooting Winchester PXP 120gr. boolits. Gonna be in the timber, shots will be close. We are good to roll. Couldn't even imagine a 300yd shot on a deer. Don't have the spot, the stand, or rest to consider it. That would be wild though to pull it off.

15. BUSCHaholic

BUSCHaholic Guest

i just clean my gun with a little oil. that does the job. hahahahahahaha

16. Rifleman

Rifleman New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Go to Wally World on Friday at about 4:30 - buy whatever scoped rifle they have available along with 2 boxes of ammo. Get to camp about 9:00, drink a few dozen beers, take a nap. Wake up, take the rifle out of the box it came in, load it, head on out.

I think that about covers it!

Did I mention Wally World was out of the Kruncher?

LOL!

:cheers:

17. TomMcD

TomMcD New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Central MO
    [rquote=1887304&tid=131477&author=conradtactical][rquote=1887249&tid=131477&author=GoGop]I shoot mine various times through the year, so I don't do any last minute shooting/sighting in. :wave:[/rquote]

Agreed. No last minute deals with me.[/rquote]

I took my Remington 7mm-08 out the other day, set me a milk jug out at 200 yards, shot prone off of my backpack and hit just a hair to the left side of the little circle in the middle, so I called her good.

18. TomMcD

TomMcD New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Central MO
    [rquote=1888622&tid=131477&author=Rifleman]Go to Wally World on Friday at about 4:30 - buy whatever scoped rifle they have available along with 2 boxes of ammo. Get to camp about 9:00, drink a few dozen beers, take a nap. Wake up, take the rifle out of the box it came in, load it, head on out.

LOL!

:cheers: [/rquote]

You should go to Bass Pro. I was there the other day and they had a whole bunch of Krunchers hanging there already opened.:rof2:

19. mobapkid84

mobapkid84 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    NW Mo
    [rquote=1888673&tid=131477&author=TomMcD][rquote=1888622&tid=131477&author=Rifleman]Go to Wally World on Friday at about 4:30 - buy whatever scoped rifle they have available along with 2 boxes of ammo. Get to camp about 9:00, drink a few dozen beers, take a nap. Wake up, take the rifle out of the box it came in, load it, head on out.

LOL!

You should go to Bass Pro. I was there the other day and they had a whole bunch of Krunchers hanging there already opened.:rof2:[/rquote]

no no no....save your money for the butt out tool!!! :rof2:

20. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

[rquote=1888622&tid=131477&author=Rifleman]Go to Wally World on Friday at about 4:30 - buy whatever scoped rifle they have available along with 2 boxes of ammo. Get to camp about 9:00, drink a few dozen beers, take a nap. Wake up, take the rifle out of the box it came in, load it, head on out.

LOL!

Really, you go that early, I wait till 9 pm, buy the gun, ammo, beer and a spotlight, start huntin the minute I leave the parking lot :D